Seeking support ... Where can a Christian go

by Sevan 83 Replies latest jw friends

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

My two cents.

I am a theist.

This forum has a number of Christians, open to debunk WT, and obtain converts.

The majority here are extremely respectful, AFA internet behaviour goes.

I do believe that WT philosophy benefits a small proportion of their membership. However, other high-control religions (Mormons, Scientology, Moonies, many Islam, extreme Christian), or groups (AA, etc.) would provide the same structure and discipline that substance abusers, etc. have been lacking in their lives.

Does this allow WT to exploit this structural control to manipulate the lives of these ones, and, more importantly, to effectively destroy the relationships of their members' friends and family?

No sane person would come to the conclusion that WT's alleged ends justifies the means.

As for feelings of those waking up:

To understand why we all feel so messed up, take a look here:

http://www.exitingthejwcult.com/p/if-you-are-going-to-see-mental-health.html

Bonnie's book is a MUST-READ for recovery.

http://www.amazon.com/EXiting-JW-Cult-Handbook-Witnesses/dp/1508477132

• Sevan
    Sevan

Smiddy, my belief in God is not solely based on the Bible. However, the Bible does play a large role. My belief in God is also informed by my knowledge of biology, chemistry and astronomy. These are things I studied at University. My belief in God is informed by my own reasoning, logic and life experiences. I also have had some very real supernatural experiences, some that also had witnesses, that absolutely cannot be explained scientifically or by the laws of physics. All these things come together as a whole to inform a belief in God that cannot be denied.

• Listener
    Listener

You're not the first person who says this site is hostile towards believers. I've been here for six years and don't have a problem with it. I'll deliberately avoid threads that discuss atheism because I don't think it is beneficial for anyone me to get into a debate about it.

The only time I see any real hostility is when a poster comes on here trying to preach their religion. It is not accepted well by just about everyone on here. I think it would be correct to say that having once been fooled into believing the JW religion no one wants to be caught out like that again.

Over the time that I have been here I've seen the dynamics change significantly. There have been long periods of time where a lot of attention has been given to understanding the real meaning of bible texts as opposed to JW teachings, personally I really enjoy that and learn a lot from different ideas. Other times, the main focus appears to be on people and their personal problems as ex JWs. Then you have a place like reddit where there is a lot of younger ones and their focus is different but, like here, there is a great deal of support for individuals. It's not that we don't get younger ones here but the dynamics are different and more suitable to some than others.

You will notice, when all is said and done, that there are many people on this forum, regardless of their beliefs, who are happy to give advice and support to others. They don't see things as just being about themselves, they understand the problems that exist and are happy to assist others. In the past, many ex JWs end up returning to the religion, not to draw closer to God or because they believe everything the GB says but because they miss the companionship. I for one am very grateful that we can have a place like this. It helps to confirm our doubts, informs us of organizational procedures and policies along with their repercussions and helps to see the manipulation and control.

I do wonder what sort of support you would like, you state 'moral support' but you can get that regardless of whether someone is an atheist or not. Do you mean that you are particularly looking for somewhere where you can share scriptures with others and discuss religion in a supportive manner or a place where you feel you are among people that hold the same biblical moral values as yourself? There is certainly scriptures that support these and even though this place may not be able to properly fulfill these it doesn't mean that you can't find some benefit for being here or even a desire to do like others and give support to individuals in need.

• Sevan
    Sevan

I would prefer though not to debate the existence of God or the basis for the Bible. I am just beginning a new spiritual journey. This is a fragile time for me and I feel that my spiritual journey is one I need to make on my own. Slowly and not hastily. I do not want to drop one set of beliefs only to rashly cling to another.

• zeb
    zeb

Dear Sevan,

you are light years ahead of so many people who espouse being... ........."spiritual" you have spoken of them; the ones I call the 'self-righteous class'.

Your posting that begins with "Also, I understand " was informed, warm and filled with humility understanding.

You are not off the track and wondering which track to take.. hell girl you are on it!

Noli Illegitimi Carborundum!

don't let the bastards grind you down..

• cofty
    cofty
    I was a believer long before encountering the Jehovah's Witnesses and I will be a believer for the rest of my life. - Sevan

I will spend my life following the evidence wherever it leads.

I have already thought long and deeply on all my reasons for faith over decades of time.

Why do you think faith is a sound basis for deciding what is true?

My belief in God is also informed by my knowledge of biology, chemistry and astronomy.

None of these fields of knowledge support the concept of a creator god. Biology in particular is hostile to belief in a creator. Every living thing evolved from a common ancestor over millions of years. This unguided process was predicated on suffering and death.

I also have had some very real supernatural experiences, some that also had witnesses, that absolutely cannot be explained scientifically

I understand that these experiences seemed real to you. You might want to investigate the work of Susan Blackmore. She spent a large part of her career trying to verify these sort of experiences from a scientific point of view. Despite her best efforts she concluded that all of them were explicable on a naturalistic basis.

Atheists and agnostics have essentially taken over this site and are hostile toward believers

Personally I never make personal attacks on believers. I do hold superstitions up to scrutiny. In return I am constantly insulted and abused by Jesus' fans.

I don't believe in god because there is no evidence for her existence. If I had to sum up my reasons succinctly they would be theodicy and hiddenness.

If you are defending the god of the bible then I would add his appalling ethics.

• Sevan
    Sevan

Hey Listener,

By moral support, I mean simply that, moral support. I am going through a lot of mixed emotions right now. I am trying not to be angry and resentful because I don't want that to consume me or hold me back. At the same time, I have given up so much and made so many decisions with life-long consequences and been through so much hardship over the years in the name of the JW religion. It is deeply painful to realize that your whole life and many of your most serious decisions were made on a false basis, built on a house of cards. That all your pain, suffering and sacrifice was for naught. I have only told a small portion of my story so far. It helps to be able to talk to people who understand what I am going through.

I am not looking to get into religious or Biblical discussions with those that don't believe. I just want to not be called delusional, irrational or unintelligent for believing. And those are all terms I've seen applied toward believers on this site by non-believers. It makes me feel unwelcome and insulted, rather than supported.

Eventually, after my own personal study of the Bible sans the influence of the JWs or organized religion, I would like to find a place to converse with fellow Christians.

But that is future. Right now I am just looking for moral support.

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice
    I am not here to be converted to Atheism, nor am I here to convert anyone to Theism. I am simply looking for a little support and friendship.

You will find it here Sevan, I'm sure. But I tell you, this forum has many doors to many viewpoints and it's my experience that all have to offer something. Just choose carefully if you are still sensitive in this stage...

• fukitol
    fukitol

Cofty: "Personally I never make personal attacks on believers."

Cofty already has personally attacked you Sevan. He has a legacy of ruthlessly attacking Christians on this forum. He aggressively and vehemently preaches atheism on this forum.

• cofty
    cofty
    Cofty already has personally attacked you Sevan. He has a legacy of ruthlessly attacking Christians on this forum - Fuckitall

That is a lie.

I never make personal attacks on believers. I attack bad ideas and often those who hold those beliefs interpret that as an attack on them personally.

On the other hand you are guilty of disgraceful personal attacks and insults. Why are fans of "gentle Jesus meek and mild" often so bad mannered?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit