Helping someone to wake up to "the truth about the truth"

by stuckinarut2 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

We all have loved one that we wish we could "WAKE UP" from the society.

Of course it is not wise to force them with information, as that could just cause their defences to go up and make them dig their heals in.

This reminded me of an illustration that the society actually used at a convention many years back:

If we want someone to move out of their dilapidated, run down and dangerous house that they are sentimentally attached to, we cant just grab them and drag them out. They will object.

BUT, if we build a brand-new, safe, secure attractive home right next door and allow them to see it be built, their curiosity will be sparked.

Next, we may find that they actually WANT to move into the new place! Then they may start speaking of the need to take a sledgehammer to the old place and destroy it themselves!

So by being kind, successful and happy in our new lives, those loved ones may see things for themselves...and they may be intrigued and ask questions.....

Remember, it is a long road, and it cant be rushed....

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

I have been very successful helping people wake up to the " truth about the truth" I put my success down to :-

A) knowing my audience.

B) Delivering a message that is appropriate to my audience.

C) Usng the power of the spoken word calmly.

D) Presenting facts.

E) Listning to response.

F) Not trying to win the argument.

G) Repeating A-F when ever the opportunity presents itself.

Its worth mentioning that most who I have awoken to the truth have:-

A) Having had their minds awoken, closed them again.

B) For personal reasons that I won't judge proven themselves " very good actors" and remained inside the organisation.

As an additional point, when people awake independently, I have helped them by being their for them. This is often when we are needed and when the real healing work begins.

I hope the above has not come across as bragging. The truth is I enjoy helping former friends or witness I meet in the street, but it actually takes very little of my time, and if I had a time sheet to report, the hours spent are not impressive.

• Stella3
    Stella3

I am actually going through this very thing right now. My sister was disfellowshipped a little over a year ago and at first her only goal was to get back in. But she started to feel slighted by a lot of people and I made it my personal priority to be there for her, never judge her, always listen and show her that not all 'worldly people' are rotten. I let her move into my house and see the loving relationship I have with my husband and how my friends all spend their days trying to be better people then they were yesterday. My mom and dad aren't speaking to her. None of the friends she's known her whole life are speaking to her. But here we are smothering her in kindness, acceptance and unconditional love. It speaks volumes. She recently decided that going to meetings only brings her guilt and shame. It actually makes her think she wants to die. When she isn't going to meetings life seems a little more bearable. Either way my mission is to be supportive ... I think that's how she will learn TTATT

• Giordano
    Giordano

The best thing that can happen to a witness re. ' waking up' is that you learn that all of the love and fellowship was conditional. That Obedience is more important then your faith.

That praying for one's daily bread is one thing....but praying for your daily delusion is another.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Nice comments!

• blondie
    blondie

To the Rebel:

Very good summary of what I have used in the past. I have a friend that is totally open now to the facts about the WTS after 2l0 years of our discussions. He has discovered the internet and videos. He loves it as they say what he has thought and that there are more people than me who say it.

helping people wake up to the " truth about the truth" I put my success down to :-

A) knowing my audience.

B) Delivering a message that is appropriate to my audience.

C) Usng the power of the spoken word calmly.

D) Presenting facts.

E) Listning to response.

F) Not trying to win the argument.

G) Repeating A-F when ever the opportunity presents itself.

Its worth mentioning that most who I have awoken to the truth have:-

A) Having had their minds awoken, closed them again.

B) For personal reasons that I won't judge proven themselves " very good actors" and remained inside the organisation.

As an additional point, when people awake independently, I have helped them by being their for them. This is often when we are needed and when the real healing work begins.

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

Very good post and use of that illustration. I think the point is proved by what everyone says to you when you try to point out something wrong in the organisation: "but where else can we go?" Of course the question is meaningless of itself in the arguments we are making, but it is meaningful and important to THEM, so we must be prepared to answer it in some way and acknowledge their feelings and the problem is creates for them if we want them to leave....

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

The catch word is TRUTH.

Its ironic... Its also perfect.

Ask them to prove its the truth. If they start with doctrine to prove JWs are the true religion ask for proof the bible is true. If they start down there then move to proof for god. They will fail those two points and either give up or you will plant a seed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit