Kids continue to leave in droves - so what is the organization's grand plan? This

by sir82 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Hecce
    Hecce
    dissed

I don't think that the "Sunday school" is going to work, the youngsters are way too smart; they are born with a chip built in.

• Nobodyspecial
    Nobodyspecial

The idea of asking them to give up the one thing they love for the cult is classic indoctrination according to steve hassen. It causes the person to become more invested emotionally based on the level of investment (the love of the past time or hobby etc etc given up)

• dissed
    dissed

Hecce...I believe nothing will save them from the Web. The exodus of children will continue at a high rate. It's only a delay action to avoid the inevitable.

• LifesNotOver
    LifesNotOver

I know! I know! Let them have facial hair (that's already happening), then tattoos, then dating, then ... ???

• KateWild
    KateWild

Yep they are leaving, my daughter's friend told her he is recently "mentally out but physically in" in his words. He won't be there long.

He saw clips of the ARC on youtube and been surfing everything since then.

Kate xx

• dissed
    dissed

Two years ago I attended a funeral service at my old KH. The Elders were old, really old. The youngest, my br-in-law is 66. 220 at the service and only one family with three kids. I asked an old friend if the kids were to stay home because of the crowd and the answer was, 'No, this is all we have'. Haven't been to any other meetings since I left. Is this becoming the norm? Lot's of older ones and few kids?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

nowwhat - "Kids continue to leave in droves..."

Well, statistically, young people today are generally smarter than their forebears. :smirk:

nowwhat - "...so what is the organization's grand plan?"

Scare tactics, obviously.

• Giordano
    Giordano

It took me two years to exit the 'truth' (mid 1960's). It now takes hours to learn TTATT then weeks or months to shed the emotional baggage.

Of course the kids are alright and opting to leave as there is really no sane reason to stay unless one gets off on being in a death cult.

How the JW's can be a death cult and also be so boring is beyond me.

• HappyHappyHappy1914
    HappyHappyHappy1914

I think the organization has actually done alot to retain younger ones, all of which will ultimately fail. So much of the push to digital in the past few years, the largest transformation I have seen in the past few decades, is aimed at those youth who no longer see the org as dated, or simply the religon of their parents.

As far as reaching out for "privileges," there have been a number of recent WT articles that discuss how elders can "encourage" young ones. As you probably already know, their main tactics are to buddy up with those young ones and then engage in guilt pushing, "reminding them of their dedication" Dedicating your life to the org via baptism no longer just entails go to meetings and services, but essentially means you have to give every last ounce of your time and energy. If you are a young one with time one your hands and aren't reaching out, you essentially are going on back on your promise to God. You know, that one you were pressured to make when you were 11.

As much as they may try to keep youth with clever videos and fancy websites, today's young people are way too educated for that to work. They are bombarded at an unprecedented rate with information and entertainment opportunities. They are the instant gratification generation, who are not going to endure hours long boring meetings. No matter how much lipstick they slap on the pig that is this organization, meetings are still boring, the elders are still unreasonable, and service is still unproductive and terrible. Those things don't change because you have a tablet and the young people understand that.

• steve2
    steve2

It cannot be repeated too often:

The organizations loses far, far, far more from apathy than from apostasy.

And the leaders know it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit