Seeking advice doctor & staff presentation

by azor 26 Replies latest watchtower medical

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I think it would be more useful to set up a meeting with the person in charge of human resources who deals with training and licensing as regards HIPPA and privacy generally. Those are the people that educate the staff about the basics of the laws. Usually, they have to update these yearly (I think) and that person/training staff would be in a position to spread the message about this confidentiality issue with the staff and perhaps work in some new safeguards for the patients and families.

I think you have a great idea and I think the doctor deserves a great big thank you and yes, an acknowledgement that you were in a bad place and your appreciation for helping your son and your family when you may have been a family that kept them up at night (and you likely were, according to my oncology doctors).

• brandnew
    brandnew

In my opinion,.....doctors, and their teams..find happiness in the simple fact that the person they helped..walked out of that hospital a healthy person. ALIVE!!!!

• azor
    azor
    JWdaughter - great recommendation. I was going to ask my doctor who I should speak to on the subject. I was hoping I could make a brief 10 to 15 minute presentation during work training. Bringing snacks or lunch.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

How do you think they would respond bringing up that many parents do not know or really understand how confidentiality works.

The real problem is that many in the medical community do not know or really understand how confidentiality is supposed to work. Someone from my wife's physician's office called our home and discussed her situation with me, although my wife has never signed a release from HIPPA allowing them to do so. Suppose that would have been an appt she had to get a transfusion for leukemia or anemia?

Doctors do need to know how important confidentiality can be for a JW who is compromising on the blood issue.

Doc

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Just go straight to the director of that dept. They can incorporate as much as they feel is important into the regular training which is yearly for each employee (I've done contract work for medical services and yearly training on hippa is standard and I think, required). You could volunteer to make a video or something of what they could be alert for without it being directed just at JW or blood patients. There can be other kinds of abuses or invasions of privacy to be alert for (ex husbands, people trying to force themselves on patients regarding living wills/ wills or Medical POAs or stuff)

• smiddy
    smiddy

First off , I hope your son is responding positively to his treatment and that you and your wife are coping with the situation.

My 2 cents worth with your proposal would be to align yourself with people who have expertise in this field, such as Kerry Louderback-Wood ,who wrote an Article :"Jehovah`s Witnesses Blood Transfusions and The Tort Of Misrepresentation " in Medical Journals and has been active in giving presentations.

Also the work done by Bill Bowen `s site that highlights the inconsistency`s of the JW blood policy doctrine , rather than trying to start something on your own , add your support to some who have a bit of clout in what they do , and together you may accomplish more.

I wish you luck in whatever decision you make.

smiddy

• azor
    azor

Thank you again JWdaughter.

Smiddy - this is exactly what I'm looking for. I just didn't know where to start, and everyone is helping me with that. The abundance of information and sources here are excellent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit