Seeking advice doctor & staff presentation

by azor 26 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Giordano
    Giordano

Azor I support your idea. Instead of a lecture perhaps you could prepare a brief bound report about Blood beliefs of the JW's and just hand the report to the doctor and invite them to keep it. Bullet points on the very first page will allow the doctor to understand what the report contains and hopefully lead them to review and share the material. You could preface it with your past beliefs as a clue to the mindset of the average or uber Witness. As well as the penalties a JW faces if they accept a blood transfusion.

jwfacts.com is a good place to start on the flip flops of WT thinking.

This next site has hard information about increased risk for JW's

http://www.bjog.org/details/news/239451/Jehovahs_witnesses_face_increased_risk_of_death_during_childbirth.html

THE BEST RESULTS FOR YOUR CHILD!

• All for show
    All for show
    As the spouse of someone who is in the field- Just thank him/them. They know JW's and blood is crazy already. They have limited time and DONT want to have religious discussions- Doctors brains are not wired for this- they like solving problems only, of the medical kind. The biggest thing people forget, doctors have families and personal lives. Everyone wants their life saved and the best doctor possible. This comes at the expense of his spouse/children. Getting acknowledgement that the doctor gives much of his free/family time caring for patients beyond the hospital setting (which most patients don't see) goes a long way in the medical teams mind and heart.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Of course it is difficult to stay on top of the "rolling ball" blood doctrine, but here is an article published in 2001 that could be useful (pdf is available for download):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1119307/

And another one by the same author:

http://jme.bmj.com/content/24/5/295.short

*both articles by O Muramoto and published in BMJ: British Medical Journal

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I know that there are some articles written by an RN that have looked at how to educate nurses on how to give access of medical information to pregnant JW women about their health care options. Basically - an education for nurses and how to optimize the health choices for pregnant JW women - the most vulnerable group of the noblood doctrine. And, the results of how many JW women actually chose blood over noblood options.

I will have to look for it...if someone knows what I am talking about - please post. The articles are quite good.

• azor
    azor

All for show - I appreciate what you have to say and how you put it. How do you think they would respond bringing up that many parents do not know or really understand how confidentiality works.

If not them maybe the nursing staff.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

This was written by Lee Elder and Dr Muramoto and published in Journal of Medical Ethics:

"Refusal of potentially life-saving blood transfusions by Jehovah's Witnesses: should doctors explain that not all JWs think it's religiously required?"

http://jme.bmj.com/content/26/5/299.full?trendmd-shared=0

There are some free downloadable pdfs in the reference section at the bottom of the article that would be useful

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

As a non-JW, I would appreciate hearing the thoughts of an exited JW because the rationale you would delve into is something that they have to deal with occasionally. Personally?... I think it could help. Maybe you could write a letter about your mindset in the beginning of your child's sickness and your mindset now. Something they can hold on to and possibly file for other doctor's reading?

I'm glad to hear that your child is doing better. :)

• All for show
    All for show

Azor- I am not sure what you mean.

"How do you think they would respond bringing up that many parents do not know or really understand how confidentiality works."

Could you expand on this? I am not sure what I am missing.

• azor
    azor

Orphan crow & Neverknew - thank you. I will incorporate both.

All for show - many doctors and nurses assume the average person knows that the treatments they or their loved ones undergo is confidential. Many jws automatically think the hlc is their for them and once there cannot be dismissed. It would be helpful if doctors and nurses told patients that they can give the transfusion at night and not have anyone else know about it. That is the parents right. Giving them another option.

It is a whirlwind when in that situation. Your world is falling apart. I thought my son was going to die and angry at god and everything. I almost punched a hole through my tile bathroom wall. The last thing someone can face in that state of emergency is the thought of losing your entire support system.

What you are stating about doctors not caring about these types of things has not been my experience with my son's children's hospital. I believe what you are expressing is where things were and have been. Just treat the disease and not the person. Fortunately that has changed over the years though progress is still needed.

• All for show
    All for show

Azor- I understand now with that clarification. It would be excellent to inform doctors that JW's need more insight in to these rights.

You know your medical team, I do not. I was only speaking from the backside, what patients see and who doctors are are completely different worlds. As I mentioned, they are not too invested in the social side of things, which is the JW world for us. That is huge to us as JW's definitely. I was only offering that doctors livesnare chaotic and stretched to the maxed time wise. They spend countless hours outside of the hospital with the latest research, studies, and must be kept up to date to keep their licensure. What is expected outside of their normal shifts- is incredibly demanding. I am only offering this, so that your time is most effective for them, your audience. Whatever you have planned - my advice- keep it short and sweet. Something they can read on their own time would be most beneficial.

I wish you and your family the very best and am so glad you got your family out!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit