Seeking advice doctor & staff presentation

by azor 26 Replies latest watchtower medical

• azor
    azor

My son is nearing completion of his 3-1/2 year chemo journey. I have an appointment with his primary oncologist at the end of next month as an end of treatment exit meeting. She and her team are leads at this particular hospital.

I plan on using this opportunity to show my gratitude for all they do as best I can. I was also going to put forward a presentation request regarding jws and blood.

A little back story so you can understand how our unique viewpoint may help them. My wife and I were the typical intolerable jws when my son started his protocol. The hospital and their staff were unbelievable in their graciousness and their care. A little over halfway through this journey we began our exit and we are now all out of this cult.

I was hoping to accomplish the following. 1st to help them understand even just to a small degree the mind control and potential loss of their entire support system. 2nd and more importantly what they should be helping people understand about confidentiality. This initial meeting will be brief, but my goal is to pitch my idea in a bullet point format perhaps with a rough power point presentation to hopefully move this to a full staff presentation. The hospital I'm speaking of is children's hospital of orange county. My goal is to start at this hospital and carry this message to other hospitals. Starting in Southern California and expanding from there.

I know marc and cora did something similar and I would like to get in touch with them but don't know how.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Good idea. Hope your son is better now and fully in remission.

Kate xx

• Landy
    Landy

Don't start giving 'presentations' to a doctor - he'll just think you're a sandwich short of a picnic.

Just thank him and go and enjoy life with your son. I can absolutely guarantee that's all he expects of you.

• azor
    azor
    Thank you Kate. That is our hope to.
  • azor
    azor

Landy they already think that of me since I was an active jw with all its baggage when my son first went into the hospital. I have nowhere to go but up from here.

I was also going to ask if there are any charities for doctors and nurses who work with children. From my observations it appears they suffer from me illnesses and die younger. I was thinking of starting a charity along these lines.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Azor, there are some good resources available for you and you have identified an area where there is a real need.

Contrary to what some think (no offense...), most medical professionals, doctors included, have little experience in dealing with the ethics around the blood transfusion ban. Many doctors rarely encounter JWs in their regular practice. And, they are not aware of all the recent intricacies of the WT's blood gymnastics doctrines. and...for that matter, a lot of JWs themselves don't understand the "new blood" stances, as they shift and change in response to demands of the marketplace.

Once a JW steps outside of the "blood management" network, there is a definite need to educate regular professionals, the ones not trained with WT influence, about the WT blood doctrines and such.

There has been published articles in ethics journals and medical journals about this subject, Azor, by doctors and nurses, directed towards the education of medical professionals about the treatment of JWs. Of course, there is an overabundance of such articles that have been published by blood management "experts" (aka - WT trained) but there is also material that is more objective and aimed at those not inside that bloodless network.

If someone else doesn't post the links first, I will poke around and find them. Lee Elder has some links posted somewhere, too, that pertain to this issue.

• FindTheLost
    FindTheLost

@ azor

I hope your family is doing well and my prayers to your son for a healthy life.

I was also going to ask if there are any charities for doctors and nurses who work with children. From my observations it appears they suffer from me illnesses and die younger. I was thinking of starting a charity along these lines.

I would suggest St. Jude Research Hospital. They do so much for children all over the world.

https://www.stjude.org/?gclid=CL_8l8SU0soCFZWCaQod6pUOSw&sc_cid=kwp2&s_kwcid=AL!4519!3!87007183522!b!!g!!stjude&ef_id=VoEUdQAAAX3Xoa5s:20160130182559:s

• cofty
    cofty

Azor - I just want to send my best wishes to you and your son.

As somebody who has done the chemo thing twice I know it's a tough thing to endure, even more so for a kid and their parents.

Are you going to celebrate the success in any way?

• Landy
    Landy
    Landy they already think that of me since I was an active jw with all its baggage when my son first went into the hospital. I have nowhere to go but up from here.
    Well, now's your chance to show them that you're over it and in the land of the normal person. Launching in to lengthy discourses about blood management will make him think you're lurching from one crazy opinion to another.
    If you decide to go ahead, don't be surprised if he just smiles sweetly and guides you toward the door.
    Excellent news about your son - I wish him and you all the best.

• azor
    azor

Cofty - Disneyland and a party. We are also waiting for his make a wish hoping for a Disney cruise.

Orphan crow - any and all information is greatly apreciated.

Find the lost - thank you. My son was actually born at St Jude. Had no idea at the time what they were known for. He was initially diagnosed at 5 years old.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit