Many Bible believers accept the Genesis documents explanations of human origins. But the modern science of genomics is making that a very difficult intellectual position to hold.
Increasingly, to believe the bible, is to accept superstition over rationality.
Three papers published in the scientific journal Nature demonstrate the point:
1. The ancestors of Australia Aboriginal and Papuan peoples left Africa around 72,000 years ago.
2. They arrived in the geological locations we now identify as Australia and Papua around 50,000 years ago
3. By 31,000 years ago, most of these communities were genetically isolated from each, a situation that allowed a great genetic diversity to develop.
Australia's ABC media cover the story in this overview:
Now think of the intellectual problems for bible believers:
1. The Genesis documents account of a divinity creating humans circa 5000 years ago cannot possibly be true, if it can be demonstrated that humans have been on the earth for a far longer period.
2. The other racial origin myth in the Genesis document, tracing all modern humans back to the family of Noah, must also be discarded.
3. If Luke 17:26 -27 accurately records the words of Jesus, then Jesus believed the superstitious story of a global flood, the destruction of all humans accept Noah's family, and the genesis account of humanities spread after the flood, a story contradicted by the science of genomics.