Narcissistic Elders/Pioneers

by StephaneLaliberte 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Today, while listening to a book that covered narcissism, I was a bit surprised to find a connexion with those “seeking privileges” in the organization.

While not being paid, pioneers, ministerial servants and elders invest a great level of time and effort in upholding their responsibilities. Why?

Fear of being destroyed by God for not doing enough

Some brothers or sisters have the energy to do more and so, will take on responsibilities. Not out of their own good will; rather; by fear of being punished by God should he find that they were not doing enough. Overtime, as people grow older and loose that “extra” energy, they will quickly release themselves of these responsibilities, no longer burdened by a guilty conscience.

A genuine altruistic disposition

These are people who know they can help their peers and do everything they can to help. They believe that their actions can bring benefit to the lives of others around them. They will give their best, often at their own expense and as long as they can, often demonstrating extraordinary resilience in their tasks. Altruism is a powerful motivation.

A strong desire to be recognized by others and have power over them.

These are people that are fueled by the attention they get; it becomes their source of energy. Hence, if demonstrating extraordinary resilience results in being recognized as perhaps assist in climbing the organization’s hierarchy, they will. While they might appear helpful to others, this is usually for selfish reasons.

Considering the amount of work and time required to fulfill their responsibilities, we should agree that this requires “extraordinary resilience”. For such a motivation to keep hold, there is only two reasons: Altruism or Narcissism. While selfless altruistic individuals can be found out there, they certainly are hard to find.

So, let’s run some numbers with a simple congregation. 80 publishers with 3 elders, 2 ministerial servants and 3 pioneers. Now, let’s take away the kids, the single parents, the sick/old/handicapped and those who are, for lack of better terms, “limited”. This brings the potential adults to 30.

This means that the JWs expect to find one extraordinarily altruistic for every 4 healthy adults. If such ratio is accurate, could we still call them “extraordinary”

Of course not. This is why you end up with so many Narcissistic people in charge. There is simply too many positions to fill against the pool of possible candidates.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

The altruists are the better of the lot. But that does not make them either capable nor intelligent. Without spiritual qualifications you are not allowed to mow the lawn without being g told. We all know the windy full of themselves ones

• millie210
    millie210

Interesting that you used the word "fuel" to describe how they like the attention and power.

I have been reading a lot about narcissism lately- what it is (extreme lack of the ability to have empathy, undeveloped personality, cluster B disorder etc) and what it is not (loud, annoying, or selfish people necessarily) and that word "fuel" or "narcissistic supply" is so accurate.

So just as religion can be a pedophile heaven for its ready supply of trusting young people and their parents, religion can also be a ready source of compliant fuel for the narcissist.

Wonderful.

I just read an article about religious narcissists and it basically described most of the elders I ever met. Not all but most.

Great post Stephane, thank you.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Millie210: Interesting that you mentioned that the JWS are also a pedophile heaven; it crossed my mind when I wrote the post.

Even if the initial intent of the "organization" is not to attract narcissists and pedophiles, it is nonetheless a by product of their teachings when combined with their organizational structure.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow
    was a bit surprised to find a connexion with those “seeking privileges” in the organization.

If you think about it, for many "elder", this is the only place they may have power or validation.

So many are uneducated and trapped in crap jobs because of being a JW.

Many come from poor backgrounds to begin with.

They are bossed around by everyone in their life, but in the Congregation, they can get power and praise!

Of course people like that will be drawn to want to BE AN ELDER!

That is ABSOLUTELY not to say that this is the case with all of them, I was one, but people want validation and power and to be better than someone else.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Throughout all of human history, dangerous psychopaths, or at least annoying power-trippers, have been attracted to positions of power, whether it be religious heirarchy, political office etc. Many aren't of course but it does attract that type.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

IWANTOUTNOW:

Years ago when I was still in I could not help noticing that a visiting speaker at our Sunday meeting was not well spoken.

I realized the Witness religion was a place where some men with no college education and not much else going for them could feel ‘important’. I do realize that not every elder fell into this category.

BTW I always felt it was pathetic if anybody was looking for a title 🙄 whether ‘elder’ or ‘pioneer’.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

LongHairGal - I had the same experience.

When I was the Service Overseer or the School overseer, I would do my best to make sure elders who could not put two sentences together didn't come again.

Funny enough over time some of the other elders in my hall fought against it tooth and nail.

Not surprisingly to me it was those who also did not have the right to stand on a podium and teach anyone anywhere.

I took the position of being a speaker and teacher seriously and put my all into it, even going at my own expense to get training from top speechwriters. I did this because I really wanted to make a difference.

The better I got at it, the more glaring it became that not only were the lions share of JW speakers were inept, but those were often ones who wanted POWER and ADULATION!

• hoser
    hoser

I’ve known more than a few narcissistic elders. They will sacrifice their own economic security for the opportunity to be a big fish in a small pond. I genuinely think some of them would have a total breakdown if they were removed from their position as they voluntarily lead such pathetic lives.

We lived in a small town with a small congregation. One evening we mowed the unkempt grass at the Kingdom Hall without proper authority. No one ever found out it was us but a local needs part was held the following Wednesday evening about theocratic order.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

HOSER:

I hate to say it but any elder who would sacrifice economic security to be a ‘big fish in a small pond’ is not very bright!.. He’s a piddle in a puddle.

Generally speaking, most of the elders I observed weren’t stupid about money and made a decent living. They may have hypocritically preached poverty for gullible people in the congregation, but they sure as hell didn’t follow it themselves. I’m sure some elders here and there may fall apart at the loss of their ‘position’, but maybe once their ego got over it they may feel relieved.

I do have to laugh at your story about mowing the grass without approval and some idiot felt slighted and had to talk about ‘theocratic order’. This is why I have NO respect for the JW religion because they are hung up on this little egotistical hierarchy they have created..and they have the nerve to call it ‘theocratic’.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit