Major ABC news article JW'S in Russia

by Bill Covert 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Bill Covert
    Bill Covert

If someone can post an ABC news article on forum, I lack the computer skills. Please read. the main point was nobody is able to figure out motive for persecution.

• IWant2Leave
  • was a new boy
    was a new boy

I lack the computer skills.

That's OK, one can always learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhXg4tvIft4

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I was still an active believing JW when the Soviet Union collapsed. After persecution of JWs ended in the former Soviet Union I noticed that some JWs from the USA took trips to visit Russia. I considered that foolish. I didn't trust Russia (and I still don't trust Russia). I thought there was a strong likelihood that the Russian Federation would start persecuting JWs again. I see that I was right about that.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

the main point was nobody is able to figure out motive for persecution.

That's because Russia Persecutes EVERYBODY!

• Bill Covert
    Bill Covert

was a new boy

Thanks I watched and I learned. It is a bit embarrassing as lack of computer skills, it is just a testimony to the covid like isolation of shunning since 2004 when family left. I have been isolated in a absolute sense from anyone who can hold my hand to learn skills from.

Thanks

• vienne
    vienne

I thought it was obvious. The Russian government caters to the Orthodox Church. Hence, the persecution.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Russia's crackdown on Jehovah's Witnesses is intended as a message that small ostensibly American religious sects that try to recruit others will not be tolerated in their country. So while it's heavy-handed and counterproductive, it is hardly the case that 'no one knows why'.

In addition to Russia's dislike of American sects, and the fact that JWs inherently will not endorse Russia's government, it is not entirely surprising that any government might perceive some JW views as 'extremist':

• 'Russia' is a 'beast' from Ezekiel and Revelation.
    • All governments, including Russia's, will soon be destroyed
    • Billions of people who refuse to accept their beliefs will soon be annihilated

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit