Environmentalists? Not Necessarily, Helping Nonetheless....

by Doubtfully Yours 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Whether the average JW appreciates it or not (I certainly do not), the WTBTS sure is helping in the environmentalists' movement of creating as much a paperless society as possible in order to preserve trees and create other favorable situations for humanity, such as avoiding so much trash and chemical waste involved in the printing/shipping process.

In order to help me adjust to this new phase within the Org, I've reasoned it all this way.

Anybody else recognizes that this going all out electronic/computerized is, of course, first a most profitable effort, but also has a secondary benefit of helping out to preserve the environment.......?!

DY

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Where do you think all the precious/rare metals come from to build the necessary components for an iPad? Who is assembling the components and in what conditions? Who is mining the rare metals? Where do we get the electricty from to make all this work?

Regarding waste and trash, that is an externalized cost that has been 'exported' elsewhere - to third world countries. Out of sight, out of mind. We're good!

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

1 iPad CO2 emits (new iPad has 180 kg CO2 emissions)

= a 515 mile drive

= production of 24 books

= 3 years daily newpapers

= how much paper-watchtowers

55 mio iPads = 7,590000 metric tons of CO2e gas

Forecast: 8 mio Jehovahs witnesses = 1.104.000 metric tons of Co2 emission emitted by Jehovahs witnesses.

Read more about the consequences of using iPads in service (killed workers in factories, nuclear energy ...)

http://mashable.com/2012/04/20/how-green-is-the-ipad/#T6._690K6uq3

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

JWs don't care much about the environment, the motivation for iPads is all about saving money on printing.

• Heaven
    Heaven

JW_Rogue said: JWs don't care much about the environment,

I experienced this firsthand when recycling became the norm in our province. My Mom was livid that she had to start sorting her garbage. I asked her why she didn't think we should be looking after the Earth? She didn't really give an answer but my suspicion is that the JW mindset of 'God is going to fix everything once Armageddon comes' was very prevalent there.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Just can't win.

If they would not have introduced the technology, surely they would then be accused of tree-killing.🤔

DY

• Londo111
    Londo111

Until they drop harmful practices such as shunning, the blood ban, ect... those affected will not cut them a break. Be it in print or electronic, the message is toxic.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Then there will be a long, disappointed life for the vast majority here.

Life is not fair. Best lived when dealt positively with this known fact.

DY

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

But how if for each JWs using a iPad once a year or for each 100 printed silversword-bibles they - the watchtower - would plant one tree or pay into a corresponding CO2 project.... that would be a wonderful witness and contribution to our climate and a good article in Awake.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Just can't win.

If they would not have introduced the technology, surely they would then be accused of tree-killing

You are missing the point that this is not even on their radar. Yes they were helping killing trees by producing an enormous amount of litera-trash for many year, but if it was in their interest to continue doing so, they wouldn't have stopped.

The only reason why there is a shift to digital content, is because they realize that Jdubs (the true source of income) will contribute regardless of whether they have digital format or paper format. This mean that by creating one piece of litera-trash in digital content at a very low cost, it can be distributed to all Jdubs, which in turn will contribute the same amount they have always contributed for the paper goods.

If income was coming from home owners, there is NO WAY they would have shifted to digital.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit