My Last Study Unit - Sigh!!! - If only I'd studied it 65 years ago

by fulltimestudent 5 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Semester 2 commences next monday, and the study unit I'm taking will be my last as a undergraduate. I've spent 8 years wandering around Asian (West and East) history, And I should have graduated a year ago, but MU now has a rule that all UGs must take a two units of study outside their field of study.

So starting monday I will apply my mind to the question implicit in the unit's title:

Why People Believe Weird Things: Making Rational Decision's in an Irrational World.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only wish that I had studied this topic when I was a kid of 17, and about to make decisions that would make me waste my life, thinking I was doing something wonderful (i.e. following the YHWH/JESUS combi god).

Sigh!!!! If only ???

• just fine
    just fine

That sounds interesting - and you will have a different perspective than your classmates. Good luck and have fun with it!

• steve2
    steve2

Those of us who have come to higher education as mature adults have so much appreciation for what we learn.

In the earlier years of my undergraduate training, I was giddy with excitement (as only a then 40-year-old person can experience) and now with several years as a practising professional in a hospital setting, I sometimes have the urge to pinch myself to see if my life away from the organization is real. It is! And man, it is rewarding.

We cannot change the past - but we can change our view of it. And we can be truly appreciative of what we have accomplished after waking up and leaving the organization!

All strength to you fultimestudent!

• Listener
    Listener

If you get the chance, it would be great if you could post some of the highlights you come across or conclude.

I imagine that after 8 years you will miss your studies. Some people continue to study their whole life and find ways of contributing to society.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Thnx for all good wishes. And ...

Listener : If you get the chance, it would be great if you could post some of the highlights you come across or conclude.

That's hard to do sometimes, as many 'highlights' have complex backgrounds. But most of the stuff I've posted reflects (in someway) some areas of my studies. Asia, past and present, covers an amazing amount of information.

I post most days on a student societies FB page on Asian studies, in the last few days, topics I've selected range from using predictive modelling to look (in the north of the Indian sub-continent) for Ashoka's Buddhist inscriptions on rocks, to information concerning the Roman Emperor Hadrian's Temple in the Erdek district of Balıkesir in northwest Turkey. to the increase in the number of Australian students now selecting a Chinese University for their studies. to the use of cross-Asia rail by Chinese exporters to Europe, to the radicalisation of Chinese seamen (given refuge in Australia) by Australian left-wingers during WW2, and that is taking increasing amounts of my time.

I joined that group just after it was founded, but after I was given the role of editor, the group management effectually collapsed. I've built readership up from a handful to, for some posts, up to 200 views. Its been an interesting experience.

Listener: I imagine that after 8 years you will miss your studies. Some people continue to study their whole life and find ways of contributing to society.

I'm considering a couple of options. One is to do a Master of Research Post grad course here at Macquarie U. The other, is to undertake a Master's degree in Chinese History at the University of Zhejiang, located in Hangzhou, China. That University is in the top 10 of Chinese universities and I love Hangzhou as a city. The fee is only around Aust.$10,000 (covers fees and accomm, shared room), but I think I stand a chance of a scholarship (not sure how my age would affect that)

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Well, if you'd studied it 65 years ago, you would have likely missed out on a lot of knowledge as this is really an area that has blossomed since the amount of information available to the layman has increased since the dawn of the internet. We have so much information available to us now that the study of heuristics has really been the subject of academic interest recently.

I'm sure you will enjoy it and I hope you share some current references with us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit