Update on My Journey: 8 Years After the End of Watchtower Control

by passwordprotected 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I last updated you guys almost 2 years ago here.

I thought I'd post an update.

The peace I discovered having decided to let the angst, worry and fear over what to believe is as strong as ever, although I am keeping more abreast of what JW.org (formerly known as WTBTS) is up to, and I never cease to be shocked and surprised.

As my last post mentioned, I split from the JW girl I married in 1993 and both of us have moved on with new partners that better fit who we are as grown adults, rather than the children we were 23 years ago.

My partner has no religious background whatsoever, although her children are being raised as Catholics by their father. Hearing her kids openly doubt, question and even ridicule the religion is heartwarming and exactly the way it should be.

As for my children, they continue to be a never-ending stream of joy and pride.

My oldest son is now 16, having been only 8 years old when we left the Watchtower. He had big anxiety problems for a while afterwards, worrying about Armageddon etc. That was very tough to deal with, but through time he left those fears behind, and I'm not sure I could meet a more calm, level-headed, open-minded and mature 16 year old. My girlfriend regularly comments on his wisdom beyond his years.

I can only shudder at what his life would be like - having the mind and outlook that he does - had he be confined by the harsh borders of JW life.

He's moving into his 5th year of high school later in the summer, and has absolutely no clue what he wants to do with is life, but he is certain he wants to travel and experience the world, an opportunity I'm all to happy to support him with.

My youngest son is now 7 and he never experienced the JW life, having been born almost a year after his parents left. Despite his mum and dad splitting up, he's an unbelievably joyful kid, a pure pleasure to be around. He recently told me that sometimes he feels like crying, and I was concerned and asked him more, only for him to explain that sometimes he feels so happy he could cry!

Unbelievable. How many of us "born ins" ever felt like that?

Again, another strong reward for the pain and sacrifice of cutting yourself free from JW mental slavery: the positive knock-on effect for your children.

At this point I'd say to any active JW who is worrying and doubting over what direction to take in life, if you have children, set them free by freeing yourself from the Watchtower.

Yes, it WILL be painful, but in the long run, the benefits afforded to you children are immeasurable.

A big worry, of course, is kids going off the rails if they no longer have the restrictions of the Watchtower.

To that I'd remind all parents that it's your responsibility to be examples for your kids, to coach them and guide them, and to love them unconditionally. You don't need any outside help with this, such as from a religion.

My 16 year old son was at a sleep-over party the other night. I had a quick chat with him about alcohol, telling him I didn't mind if he had a couple of drinks, but not to go mad. And he took that advice. But that's come off the back of loads of chats between us where I've openly admitted mistakes I've made. Again, this can be very hard to do in the JW world.

My 11 year old daughter is strong and confident and has a social life that I'm more than jealous of. But it's a social life devoid of the sniping and tell-taling that most of us "born ins" experienced.

On the health front, I'm a wee bit fucked. My heart disease reared its head again last December and I ended up in hospital over Christmas having survived a massive heart attack. This is hard to deal with at times. Genetics have played a massive part in it happening, but I've no doubt the stress and pain from 2008 to 2012 (when I finally made peace with religion and my upbringing) have played a huge part too.

I'm remaining positive that I'll get back to close to normal, but I'm realising it'll take lots of time.

So, for all my heart is a bit clogged up, my mind is still open and still at peace (in no small part to almost dying in a Glasgow hospital*).

I'm going to be keeping my eye on JW.org developments going forward, these are very interesting times for the cult.

*This is what it feels like: you're just going to sleep. It's very peaceful (until the doctors and nurses are shouting at you to "cough...cough! Stay with us". :-)

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

hi there from a fellow Brit--although opposite end of the country.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Glad you checked in and that you're experiencing happiness by leaving this cult. Thanks for sharing your story.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Good to hear things are going well. All the best for your health.

• HappyOutsideTheBox
    HappyOutsideTheBox

I'm so glad you are happy :)

You've had quite a journey to get there - but I have no doubt the end result is worth all the angst you faced.

Health-wise, you have the genes from your dad, those cannot be sidestepped, but thankfully you have come through the stresses that may have exacerbated it.

Good Luck with all you do in life - for you and your family :)

HOTB

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

always remember you from back in the day, good that your life is on track and doing well

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

Glad you dropped by and updated the community on your progress. Hope your health improves and your journey continues in good health, heart disease sucks. I wish more of the old posters would drop by and encourage those just waking up and leaving this cult. Many are unsure if they made the right decisions or question if things will ever get better, your story gives many hope.

Best of luck to you my friend.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great post!

Yes, life free of the FOG (fear, obligation, guilt) of a manipulative high control group is a refreshing and liberating life.

The stresses we all carried as a result of the witness baggage is only clearly discerned AFTER leaving the goldfish bowl of the society.

Enjoy life! It's here now, so we should all live it and find something to make us and those around us happy each day.

• under the radar
    under the radar

So happy for you. Your kids are turning out great, and you can justifiably be proud of them and the role you had helping them along.

Please take care of your health. You know you want to be around for graduations and weddings and grandchildren far into the future, so be a good boy and do what your doc says.

Thank you so much for the update.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit