Funeral talk

by dothemath 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dothemath
    dothemath

I was recently present at a witness funeral (by zoom) and the brother did do a nice talk about this sister who passed away. Her and her husband had pioneered for many years, but she succumbed to cancer.

In his closing remarks, of course he talked about the resurrection, and remarked how the husband (still alive) would soon be back together with his wife.

Certainly fine thoughts, but imagine if this guy ended up getting remarried? Isn’t that putting a lot of pressure on someone, when it isn’t even mentioned in the bible at all?

If anything, the bible says the exact opposite (Jesus answering the Sadduccees). Even in all the pictures we see in the literature, I don’t think they show husbands welcoming back their wives ( I could be mistaken).

I know of one widow whose husband died several years ago, and she certainly looks forward to being reunited with him. (She is still quite young)

I know a lot of witnesses put their lives on hold for the organization, but this seems to only add more tragedy to a death in the family.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

We had a sister die recently. Her husband had been attending zoom with her (terminal) he told the elders she requested a celebration of life without a big religious to do. Brother pushy said we'll see about that!!! Haven't heard of any memorial yet.

This brother and his wife used to be mild, now they are gung ho to the point of unpleasant

• Overrated
    Overrated

My father's funeral was about 5 minutes about his life(he was nobody) the rest of the service was a recruitment talk about the Org. What a disappointment. I wouldn't of gone if it was not my dad.

• Harry
    Harry

but imagine if this guy ended up getting remarried? Isn’t

that putting a lot of pressure on someone, when it isn’t even mentioned in the bible at all?

Well what should one expect since the resurrection is fictional mythology ?

ie. my JWS mother died a few years ago and my JWS father remarried to another JWS woman.

Whats going to happen when they are all resurrected or make it through Armageddon as the case may be ?

my father will have two wives.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

The Hebrews inherited the idea of resurrection from the Persians (following the defeat of Babylon). The idea did not really take off until the Jews (as they had now become known as) inherited the idea of a "soul" and "Consciousness in death" from the Greeks.

Hence the only place in their Scriptures where resurrection is mentioned is in Daniel. That Book, of course, was prepared the the 2nd century BCE, following the absorption of those ideas from Persia and Greece.

All of this took place in a much larger context, in which the Jews took on the idea of "Last Days"; "War in heaven"; Evil Leader of fallen angels, and so forth.

All these features might not appear strange for some today, but they were extremely novel at the time.

The Saddusees only ever accepted the Torah, and since it does not speak of a resurrection, so neither did the Sadducees. They were true to the Scriptures, whereas the Pharisees were more generous and accepted other writings as authoritative.

Doug

An Afterthought: Is this idea of resurrection part of a denial of Death?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The opening post makes a fair point. Funeral talks try to encourage faithfulness so as to be there to greet the dead one when ressurected. I suppose it would sound crass if he said to the husband...." You can look forward to seeing her again, if you want to, or not if you have found another nice woman that you want to marry"

On the subject of marriage , the WTS used to be adamant that the ressurected would not be available to marry, taking Jesus' words on the subject. In recent years ,however , they decided they could not be sure about that and left the door open to the hope that many have, to re-marry their deceased spouse.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

One of the more challenging funeral talks I witnessed was that given for memeber of the anointed who had committed suicide.

• menrov
    menrov

If resurrection is true, it will never be with your former partner. Just imagine: widow(er) remarries, both die, and will meet former partner.....

The whole "you will be with your loved one(s)" is a marketing effort. Not based on the scriptures at all but meeting a sentiment in humans.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit