Wearing Masks/ China&Other Asian countries

by caves 8 Replies latest jw friends

• caves
    caves

I've been reading that in Asian countries if you go outside without a mask on, your looked at oddly and with disapproval. It seems they have been wearing masks for years. Yet Uk/Us/Canada/ and other countries do not.

I guess I'm a little taken aback. Mainly from the hysteria about our "rights" being taken away by more and more places requiring masks.

Its so normalized in these countries that they even use them as fashion statements.Have fashion shows with masks as part of the style.

I had no idea.

Also before I go to far off the point , which really is, that these places already wear them and have for years.

Why in the world would say, having a mask as requirement for work or gathering in large groups be considered as "My rights are taken away?"

Clearly this pandemic has shown us how useful they can be in slowing transmission down. Or am I missing something?

Mask-wearing went from seasonal affectation to year-round habit. Today, Japanese consumers buy $230 million in surgical masks a year, and neighboring countries facing chronic pollution issues—most notably China and Korea—have also adopted the practice.

https://theconversation.com/ive-always-wondered-why-many-people-in-asian-countries-wear-masks-and-whether-they-work-90178

https://qz.com/299003/a-quick-history-of-why-asians-wear-surgical-masks-in-public/

https://www.commisceo-global.com/blog/why-do-japanese-chinese-korean-and-thai-people-wear-surgical-masks

I don't want to think that I have to wear a mask for the rest of my life, but .... well, what do you think about it?

I have seen the studies that say masks don't eliminate pathogens from getting through the masks but it does slow things down...

Do you think this will become the norm in the countries that have not been wearing them?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

CAVES:

Years back I would see Asians (who I thought were tourists) with masks on in the city. I also saw them walk with umbrellas on sunny days because they didn’t want the sun on them.

I just assumed the masks were because they considered it a normal thing to do back in their populated city, too many germs, etc.

Even though I don’t want masks to be normal in the US, they might be under some circumstances..I wouldn’t blame people in the subway for wearing them.

• caves
    caves

I'm trying not to cross over into a thread that is already going, but I'm all for mandatory masks and get back to work.

Especially after what I'm reading about other countries wearing them as the norm. I really don't know what to think.

I can imagine it would be viewed as an overreach of government.

This reminds me of a paper I read on the advantages of a dictatorship. (not all dictatorships are bad) and NO I didn't say we are in one in the US or headed towards one. But there are some advantages in a pandemic. Like making people wear one. * Im just saying, I'm not advocating AT.ALL!

From what I'm reading most of it seems voluntary in these Asian countries. I could be wrong, I'm just learning of it.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Masks do have their place. If you are already sick, they do help reduce the chance of spreading the virus but do not totally eliminate it. A proper N95 mask, worn correctly, reduces the chance of catching it but does not eliminate it totally. Masks also work when confronted with heavy dust and smoke. (Of course, those dumb enough to smoke cancer sticks defeat this.)

I do not like this mandatory masks, however. They carry risks in hot humid weather--if you get mold spores growing in the masks, this can create a lengthy illness that can end up worse than coronavirus. They also contribute to heat related illnesses, including a "fever" that is simply the result of not being able to lose heat in hot weather. Then you get quarantined for nothing.

The worst is that it will be continued until a vaccine, effective or not, is developed and a RFID chip is required to verify that you have the vaccine. With the 5G technology and this chip, a social score can be implemented worldwide that will make China look downright libertarian. And this will cause more misery and death than even the fear-mongerers' rendition of coronavirus as something that kills 10% of all healthy young people that get it and leaves half the survivors with permanent and serious damage (which I do not believe is the case). Communism will kill 95% of all people, including all the most intelligent. It will make things miserable for the bottom 5% that are spared. And no supplement, mask, social distancing, soap and water handwashing, or staying home will reduce or prevent you from getting this.

As for the other measures, they should be focusing on other layers. Prevention of exposure only works until the one time it doesn't, and even if you could somehow prevent all exposure to germs, your immune system would get as bored of nothing to do as teenagers that are locked in their houses. Allergies will become more of a problem. And auto-immune diseases will also become an issue. I would rather reduce but not eliminate my exposure to the virus, and then take supplements to deal with the reduced exposure. (Which does the same thing as a vaccine, with the same success rate.) These supplements would also throttle the virus if I do get infected, leading to no or mild symptoms. And, if it does get through that, drugs are the final layer before resorting to the hospital.

A mask might help. But mandatory masks are only a gateway to communism, for which a mask (or hand sanitizer, soap and water, making people suspicious of each other through social distancing which I feel will end up doing more damage than the virus could have), supplements, drugs, and hospitals will be totally worthless. Not to mention, a virus is easier on my soul than communism, even if I have a full 10% chance of dying and 50% chance of permanent damage if I survive (again, that is the extremist viewpoint).

• Simon
    Simon

Asian countries create terrible pollution, that is one reason they wear masks.

• Listener
    Listener

Of course, next we will be told that wearing masks is mandatory once there are sufficient available. Then since our identity will be hidden, we will be told that chipping is required. I was wondering how the population would be swayed into believing that chipping was necessary.

😂😉🙄

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

" A mask might help. But mandatory masks are only a gateway to communism, "

I find that statement strange. I hope I have not missed the context.

We already accept Government laws that restrict our freedom for the good of others. In the UK it is illegal to, smoke in a building , drive a car without a seatbelt, ride a motorcycle without a crash helmet and I am sure there are other examples.

These laws are not only for our benefit, they protect the lives and comfort of others, for the common good. That is how I see face masks at the present time. If one is asymptomatic he will not know that he is spreading the virus but he may well do so.

It is not communism it is for public protection. Here, masks are not yet mandatory. I wish they were.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Another reason they wear masks in S. Korea is that they get a lot of sandy dust in their air.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Aren`t masks supposed to be worn only once and then discarded ? Otherwise you can create more health problems if they are over used ?

I`m not up to date on masks or what different types are available or what different advantages one type has over another type ,then of course comes the cost factor if people are out of work because of this virus ,how do they cope with this adde cost ? though I have no idea what they cost in the first place.

I wouldn`t be against mandatory wearing a mask if its going to keep me and the missus and everybody else in the community safe ? while this pandemic is around .it just seems like its the sensible thing to do if it protects us all .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit