2nd amendment right ... where should it end?

by Simon 166 Replies latest social current

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I wouldn't argue with that Hadriel .

I've owned few guns myself .

The prevailing question remains ......

Is a set population safer or more perilously dangerous where there is the proliferation of personal gun ownership and distribution of guns and add in the sales of semiautomatic guns as well ?

Statistically the answer to that is there is more gun violence within that population.

This notion that well I've got one so I'm protected is self serving and apathetic to the causative problem.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Is a set population safer or more perilously dangerous where there is the proliferation of personal gun ownership and distribution of guns and add in the sales of semiautomatic guns as well ?

My short answer is it depends on the population.

Switzerland is what? #4 on the per capita ownership?

But where are they on gun deaths per capita? Pretty low?? (also deaths are generally suicide and "crimes of passion")

In this one case it would seem responsible gun ownership has a bigger impact than just gun ownership

just saying... I don't think two world cultures will be exactly the same.

responsible gun ownership should be a priority and probably more attainable goal/initiative than an outright ban at this point

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

it's about pointing out the fallacy of the "right" and the interpretation of it.

The right to defend yourself is not up for debate, so the debate is actually about what is reasonable to defend yourself. The second amendment defends the right for people to own a gun, but it doesn't have to have the same scope as it had when it was written.

Logically, nobody buys a gun because they are planning to fight the government ( or maybe a few do), but they do because they are looking for a reasonable way to defend themselves.

What is reasonable? Well in countries like the UK or France it's perhaps not as reasonable to own a gun, because it's unlikely that the people who you need to defend yourself from, also don't have one. This is true, because we can see that in the UK for example, it doesn't seem reasonable that even the police should have a gun.

Is this logic good for the US as well? What would happen if you took an unarmed London police force and you put them patrolling the streets of New York City? Not good? Why? after all, what's good for the UK should be good for the US, no?

Now let's reverse this. Let's take all of the criminals in the US along with their guns, and transfer them to the UK. This should be just fine for the unarmed population of the UK, as well. Not good? Why not?

But wait, since the UK has tight gun restrictions, i'm sure all of the criminals would hand in their guns, so it would level the playing field, right? Isn't that how it works in a perfect world?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Isn't that how it works in a perfect world?

Very good. You have shown how complicated an issue this is clearer than I have seen on this forum to date. Thank you for not oversimplify the solution.

• Simon
    Simon
    Switzerland is what? #4 on the per capita ownership?
    But where are they on gun deaths per capita? Pretty low??

Because they have very strict gun control. Something like 14 inspections or renewals per year.

It's about balance and responsibility.

Of course you can't transpose part of a population, it doesn't work like that and any sudden transition is unrealistic and isn't being suggested.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Because they have very strict gun control. Something like 14 inspections or renewals per year.
    It's about balance and responsibility.
    eeeeeggggggsactly!
    no 2nd amendments

no bans

just control

• Simon
    Simon
    eeeeeggggggsactly!
    no 2nd amendmentsno bansjust control

Thanks for finally coming round - 2nd amendment doesn't apply, make the discussion about which types of gun controls should be in place.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

So the next time a crazy terrorist or a wack job comes into a school and mows down a bunch of children , make sure you wag your finger at them telling them they are not behaving gun responsible, don't they remember the safety training they took.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    So the next time a crazy terrorist or a wack job comes into a school and mows down a bunch of children , make sure you wag your finger at them telling them they are not behaving gun responsible, don't they remember the safety training they took.

oh boy...smh

Don't go outside fink, the sky might fall

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Now your going to an ad hominem attack against myself.

So may diversions.

No I'm not paranoid about traveling in the States, I used to live So. Cal. , but I am living in Canada now, there's a lot less gun stores strewn about, hell I think there's only two gun stores here in Vancouver that I can think of in a population of 2.5 mil. and there's no semiautomatic military guns in them to be purchased that's a certainty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit