2nd amendment right ... where should it end?

by Simon 166 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon
    America is america take it or leave it.

No, America should be what the people decide it should be. Or did it stop being a democracy? (maybe it's about to, LOL)

It should be about having the chance to have a debate and make your case for one approach vs another.

Yeah, I'm sure there was another amendment on the list about free speech somewhere ... and it didn't say "shut up, it is what it is, like it".

Some people seem to be incredibly un-American.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I don't consider myself American, I'm a New Yorker first, American second :)

"But if a man test my Stuy

I promise he won't like my reply

Boom bye bye like Buju I'm crucial

I'm a Brooklyn boy I may take some gettin' use to"

Jay-Z

• Terry
    Terry

Perhaps the real issue is dealing with the ILLUSION of self-protection vis-a-vis the ruling powers. Ownership of weapons may only be the symptom rather than the cause of 2nd amendment fetish.

Benign governments won't use guns on the population and insidious governments will stop at nothing to achieve total control.

A Sadam Hussein style government achieves dominance through intimidation. A terrified populace facing torture if caught conspiring against the leader are not likely to put up much of an insurgency. Fear has won.
    Sadam was not worshipped, only feared. That was enough. To keep outside enemies at bay, the rumor of weapons-of-mass-destruction worked as well as the real thing.

In North Korea, the leader-du-jour is deified. The populace wouldn't dream of even thinking an insubordinate thought. Mind control has nullified the use of weapons to overthrow the government.

In Cuba, guns brought down Batista and a Communist 'paradise' was seemingly achieved as long as you agreed with Castro and did not speak aloud in criticism of the downside of inviting ICBM's from Russia and bringing about subsequent blockades which reduced everything to a near standstill for over half a century.

In other words, there are all sorts of ways the government becomes the enemy of the people. Sometimes, as in Cuba, guns bring about regime change only to yield a worse condition in the aftermath.

Like I said at the beginning, perhaps the real issue is dealing with the ILLUSION of self-protection vis-a-vis the ruling powers.

______

I was a boy in America when President Eisenhower used the military to keep racists from blocking the entrance of black children into white schools when desegregation began.
    In the 60's I saw college students fired upon by soldiers at Kent State University.

President Obama has ordered drone strikes to murder American citizens who turned traitor in joining terrorists.

I've seen cult members surrounded and extinguished in Waco, Texas under David Koresh.

("The result is that the public remains in the dark about how exactly U.S. policy governing targeted killings is operating, under which legal authorities, and who exactly are its victims," said a letter to Obama in December from nine rights groups.) Excerpt from http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/10/politics/us-killing-americans/

The less secure a population becomes about the fragile boundaries between themselves and their government, the more they are likely to descend into a paranoia-driven fear which--in fringe instances--leads to acquiring weapons.

In Texas we now have open-carry laws. You walk into Starbucks and Billy Bob is sipping his latte with a six-gun on his hip.
    Do I feel less safe? Frankly, I'm like Rhett Butler, "Frankly. . . I don't give a damn."

We create all sorts of hypothetical worries for ourselves unnecessarily.
    We all think we know what we don't know. We are all confident the "other" fellow is out of his mind and we are right.

The problem isn't fundamentally a problem of weapons---it is over-active imagination and personal convictions in the face of opposition.

As JW's we had enemies everywhere around us and fully expected to pass through a Great Tribulation. We actually bought into that propaganda paranoia. Now we see it was all in our mind and we were duped.

I think the same is true, more or less, in gun owners and anti-gun activists.

Everybody knows better than everybody else. Except--they don't.

We create our own heaven or hell by how strongly we believe our own nonsense!

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I think the same is true, more or less, in gun owners and anti-gun activists.
    Everybody knows better than everybody else. Except--they don't.
    We create our own heaven or hell by how strongly we believe our own nonsense

I agree with this, except "gun owner" should be replaced with "gun nut". Gun nuts are the activists of sorts, the other extreme. A plain-jane gun owner, is just exercising their right, not necessarily promoting any agenda. And they only know for themselves, not the masses or anyone else.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    No, America should be what the people decide it should be.

I'm gonna throw some internet shade here and say I think a lot of the consensus on here is to the contrary, america is what the people decide, but the feeling from many on this forum is america should be what the UK, Canada and Australia decide. My point in saying america is america is just what you said, we decide not you.

Isn't that why we gunned up in the first place??? UK trying to run our sh*t lol

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The 2nd. amendment was written with intention for the protection of all of the Constitutional Laws, possibly by an invading force to overtake this established government, both internally in America or externally ie. Great Britain.

The founding fathers of this government also made it possible for new laws to be created for the betterment of the people who were under these expressed laws.

So by that direction new laws can be created through the Democratic process.

Over the past 200 years the technology of guns in their development and design has made it necessary to have laws imposed against owning and selling certain guns, for the overall protection of the population.

In 2016 we are far past the ball and Musket days of when the 2nd. amendment was written , in view of that fact guns ownership and the sale of certain guns needs also to evolve..

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    In 2016 we are far past the ball and Musket days of when the 2nd. amendment was written , in view of that fact guns ownership and the sale of certain guns needs also to evolve.

This is a deceiving idea fed to you by the media, that in america people are running around with AR15's, AK's and UZI's committing murder. And I'll be the first to say that yes its extreme to posses certain weapons however lets be totally honest.

If you delve into statistic of gun deaths, or mass shootings and guns used, you are going to find most would fall into an area that doesn't involve what you are speaking of. Its most often a handgun, a rifle, or shotgun.

• just fine
    just fine

I agree with you freemindfade. I am a "plain Jane" gun owner with no agenda. If you don't like guns don't own them. I own guns and I like them. I would never use it on another living thing unless my life is threatened.

Where I live guns are very prevalent and there are indoor shooting ranges so we can practice all winter too. Target shooting is hobby and there are plenty of gun clubs that are social in nature.

• Simon
    Simon
    In 2016 we are far past the ball and Musket days of when the 2nd. amendment was written , in view of that fact guns ownership and the sale of certain guns needs also to evolve..

That's my opinion. The 2nd amendment only made sense at a certain period of time and for certain circumstances and those times are long gone. The fact that you can easily make it look silly and point out logical flaws in the rules and applications of them are testament to the fact that it is well past it's sell by date.

It has become nothing but a rallying flag (intentionally so be some) which blocks proper debate about issues relevant to people today and how best to ensure that most people's fundamental right to life is not impinged upon.

Most other western countries have come up with a different approach and enjoy safer societies as a result. But they were not saddled with the legacy of the 2nd amendment acting as a drag on their civilizations evolution.

BTW: It's funny to see some people's knee-jerk reaction (jerk being the operative word) to the mention of gun control. They can't comprehend that someone can possibly be both pro-gun and pro-gun-control at the same time, they live in a very black and white world indeed. I like guns and like shooting, but I like living more and think I'm safer if there are more and stricter controls on the availability of guns - it won't mean I can't have one, but if it means billy-bob the racist nut can't have one then it's a win and worth some inconvenience. If it means I can have one but cletus the cult leader can't have 1,001 then that's a win and worth some inconvenience.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

This is a deceiving idea fed to you by the media,

........really ? What guns were used in the Columbine or Sandy Hook school massacres ?

Or the recent attack in San Bernardino ?

They were all semi-automatics, they weren't recreational hunting rifles were they now ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit