Medical prohibitions leading to documented loss

by Vanderhoven7 7 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Other than general cases involving blood prohibitions...are you aware of instances of JWs or exJWs who have suffered health issues as a result of obedience to WTS medical dictates?

I'm thinking specifically of those who were denied vaccinations or organ transplants and I would also include those who were denied hemophelac preparations from 1975 - 1978.

Any known or documented examples would be appreciated.

• hoser
    hoser

I would say that the jw ban on using tobacco has been a benefit to health

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

hoser:

That has nothing to do with the question, which is a very valid one, and one that may become quite relevant if JWs are ever to be taken to account before the governments for human rights abuses. And BTW, most people don't smoke, and most people aren't JWs.

• LV101
    LV101

Vaccinations -- scary issue. Some doctors don't want to treat children w/out up-to-date vaccinations -- or so I was told by a non-baptized JW recently who dealt with this problem at a quick-care medical facility She's adamant to not have her children vaccinated. Didn't sound right but the school district allows her unvaccinated children to attend.

The W/T allows vaccinations in this day and age, right? Know of older adults raised in another crack-pot religion (that has withered) that didn't allow vaccinations for polio, etc., decades ago. Scary although I'm sure vaccinations have serious risks involved.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    W/T allows vaccinations in this day and age, right

Yeah they allow them now . . . STILL, many JWs are of the personality type that is emotion driven and often go for conspiracy theories/'natural' cures, etc. That's what led them to be JWs in the first place. So I know a number of them that gravitate towards viewing vaccinations as government conspiracy/causing autism etc. and won't have their kids inoculated.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer
    Hoser: I would say that the jw ban on using tobacco has been a benefit to health

There is another side to this. It brings to mind another medical prohibition that has caused suffering for some - not being allowed to use a Nicotine Patch (I think it's called). Some people use them to help to break the smoking habit, but Watchtower prohibited their use years ago, saying we must rely on "holy spirit" to give up tobacco.

Some could not break the habit and were disfellowshipped. There are some people who can't cope with being shunned and isolated which sometimes leads to suicide.

I doubt there is any way that deaths from banning the Nicotine Patch can be tracked, but it's another harmful Watchtower medical directive.

(Has this prohibition changed in recent years?)

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The Org has made its suspicion of ("worldy") psychiatric medicine pretty clear.

Considering the degree of mental health problems I've seen amongst JWs, I'd say that qualifies.

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

Use this link:

http://ajwrb.org/experiences

I'd start with Debbie Shard's story and "Stories that Break Hearts"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit