Is this a site controlled by atheists?

by The Rebel 29 Replies latest jw friends

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I heard Neil Degrasse Tyson say some thing very interesting on the radio a few weeks back. They were talking about the flat earth movement. And him and one well known rapper going back and forth on Twitter about it. But what I thought was interesting that he said he would not debate it and he wasn't. But he did say that when someone presented "evidence" that he would correct them when its bs.

This site is like a debate class. You can't say anything without it being turned into a debate competition whether you are trying to debate something or not. In day to day life I don't debate atheism and I don't try to preach it. I will call bs on some things if faulty information is given. Or biased information. I was never a good pushy witness I think I'm not a very good pushy atheist lol. Too lazy maybe??? I will give my opinion from time to time though (if solicited of course). :)

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Is this a site controlled by atheists?

God knows.
    (Chortle)

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

This site is not controlled by atheists.

The owner is an atheist but that is neither here nor there.

I agree with D4G that some vulnerable people coming here for the first time should not be hit with atheism straight away.

If such newbies choose to comment in an atheist vs theist thread then that's another matter entirely.

• tornapart
    tornapart

I've been a member of this site for 4 years now and whilst I've noticed there are a lot of atheists there are also many theists too. I would take a guess though that the vast majority are now agnostic and just want to get on and have a happy enjoyable life without being bothered by anything to do with religion.

I do think it's a shame though when someone new comes here still expressing a faith in God and being lambasted for it (unless of course they are trolling). I don't see it happen often but occasionally it does. As my username denotes, that is how I felt when I discovered TTATT. Having my faith in God challenged at the outset would have been something I couldn't have handled at the time. It's a long slow process for many to challenge dearly held beliefs for so long. It's important to be as welcoming as possible to newcomers and not bombard them with atheism at the outset.

Nice post Rebel

• Heartsafire
    Heartsafire

I noticed right away that atheists on this site have no problem presenting their point of view. I don't think this is done out of a desire to stamp out belief in god so much as it is an invitation to believers to open their minds to new explanations supported by logic.

When you are the type of JW who has been having to suppress your desire to explore topics such as evolution or the OT books being folktales a site like this one can be enlightening.

I'm still a believer to an extent, but I no longer feel the need to use that belief as an emotional crutch or an explanation for why everything exists in the world.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    Yes.
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

This is a young J.W to me, " East of Eden" the movie expressed the timeless conflict between a fathers rigidity, and an adolescents search for love and understanding, and a young generation of people had began to identify instinctively with the pain and bewilderment of James Dean in that film.( This to me represents the athiest talking to the in-exsperienced believer)

But my point is as a young Jehovers Witness, all you are programmed to do is identify with the W.Ts interpretation of God, and as an adolescent teenager, when you realize the lie, and you look for love that your parents won't give, (IMAGINE THAT) Yet the bewilderment is the young kids still believe in God....then they come here and can barely articulate themselves ...they are just Young people, all lost like James Dean, but without the self- confidence and ability to have yet found themselves.

Ok I created a profile, but the thing is we are all imaginary profiles on the Internet, but we are not all actors, we are most often real humun beings, all over the world from different cultures and love and understanding. In my opinion this is often what people search for as opposed to truth. Anyway I am an athiest, but I hope I can debate and shake hands when I debate with a believer, otherwise I believe I failed in my purpose.

The Rebel.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    i left the watchtower cult--back in 1971--because i was an atheist. i didnt become one because i left.
  • Heartsafire
    Heartsafire
    Rebel, good point. I agree that people are often looking for support and understanding more than anything. Whenever I post a comment I try to be as respectful and understanding as possible. If I find I can't comment on a debate without getting all worked up, than I simply won't post or I wait until Ive chilled out and can post a comment without biting off someone's head.
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I think because of people using social media for support when leaving this cult, or any cult, they were raised in there is a danger of moving too fast in changing beliefs.

In '89 when I left it was a matter of finding books in the library or book shops and slowly examining different Bible translations including a non-JW Greek and Hebrew interlinear. Then we bought Bible encyclopaedias and learnt about other religions. Then we started looking at evolution, anthropology and history.

When new people join this site most posters are welcoming and gentle with traumatised JWs who are just waking up. A few react with a knee jerk reaction to any talk about God or the Bible. I don't think it is just because they are atheists I think it's because they're idiots. What do they expect people to say who've had their heads filled with religion for twenty, thirty years or more?

Is this site controlled by atheists? Well Simon is an atheist but there are many religious people here who he's allowed to stay. Perhaps if we all remember it takes time to get free of the cult mindset and not launch at new people who mention God or the Bible. Also it's hard to give up a belief of having someone there to lean on and you're right sometimes these are just young kids who can barely articulate their feelings.

I do wonder what happens when these kids who see TTATT but still believe in God are warmly welcomed by all including atheists then go on another thread and see believers severely criticised for their faith. Does it cancel out their warm welcome? Do they stick around?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit