I cry during the National Anthem now

by kairos 6 Replies latest jw friends

• kairos
    kairos

After being a JW for 25 years and finding every weasel way to 'maintain Christian neutrality', I now find myself in a completely 'new light'.

I quit abruptly, four years ago and have lived a JW free life with the exception of my born-in wife.
    When I see the ceremony of the National Anthem, it not only reaffirms the absolute beauty of personal freedom, but it also allows me to see that most people are good and loyal to one another. I treasure my life and have become a patriot. Now I feel ashamed that I was a government/authority rejecting, isolationist that benefited from living in the greatest country in the world.

'We voted for God's Kingdom".

I cry for the privilege to live with loyalty to my land and fellow - also for my shame of past mistakes.

It can be an emotional experience to rejoin society.

• waton
    waton

besides, some national anthem are appropriately stirring and profound music.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    living in the greatest country in the world.

You live in England, I had no idea!

• mikeflood
    mikeflood

Man, you are obviously sincere....but you sound like Winston Smith in the novel Orwell's 1984....

• just fine
    just fine

It makes me emotional because I realize how lucky I am to have the freedom I have. Freedom of religion, to choose a career, a college, a marriage mate, where to live, etc. So thankful I live in a country that allows me to choose.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I don't cry but I like standing up during the anthem. Doing that is in fact, a great feeling. To me is more about reclaiming my choice and my sense of belonging in the world.

• kairos
    kairos

Part of my sadness is that we spent all of those years thinking we were involved in the most important work of all.

Turns out, our 'work' was useless and the people we thought were going to be destroyed at armageddon were the actual heroes in our communities...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit