What kind of person was Nathan H. Knorr?

by Hecce 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hecce
    Hecce

WOW

Keep it coming, this is heavy.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

"I recall" -Marvin Shilmer

It is an axiom that Marvin Shilmer is a brilliant person; in-spite, even 12 brilliant angry men just cannot see.

It is unfair to only target the failings of a man.

It is fair to say that Brother Knorr went out in service with the group with everybody else, in the rain, in the snow, in the heat, in the cold, and on foot -even after his cancer treatment. Bethel service comes first, but I cannot recall NHK missing meetings. NHK gave his assigned talks in his KH ministry school that he was enrolled in and served as elder on top of all of his other duties at Bethel and as president of the wt (until brain cancer just made it impossible) -even during his bout with brain cancer.

There was a dignified air about NHK that was proper because he was the president of the watchtower, yet NHK was an extremely humble man, I observed.

It seems to me that the reason why Brother Knorr refused to work with the group or with anyone on that day that you relate about in your post is because he saw that it was not proper for the brethren to give him so much special attention, and being the spiritual man that he was, and perhaps not to give fuel to some wekaness, he walked away rather than risk being tempted to enjoy the feeling of being glorified by the brothers. It is fair to say though, that NHK was human and had failings just as any other man.

We got to the territory..

Very revealing, and may the reason for why so much color in your commentaries.

• Hecce
    Hecce

What your telling us reveals to me the ultimate Company or Society man, what we are discussing is his human factor and his lack of compassion for others.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It seems to me that the reason why Brother Knorr refused to work with the group or with anyone on that day that you relate about in your post is because he saw that it was not proper for the brethren to give him so much special attention, and being the spiritual man that he was,

he walked away rather than risk being tempted to enjoy the feeling of being glorified.....Fisherman

..................................Image result for Oh the Horror

• steve2
    steve2

Fisherman, nice side-stepping of well-documented incidents such as elderly Charlie being ejected from Bethel with others at Bethel warned not to come to his aid and a Thai sister at Bethel who jumped overboard and drowned despite others' requests she be given a secure flight back to her home country.

And you do an even nicer job re-framing Knorr's behaviors as "human and [he] had failings as any other man". The best line ever for those who possess elevated status.

Though I would add that he wasn't just "any other man" was he?

He had the opportunity to powerfully practice what Christian love meant in the supposedly sole religious organization on earth that had "the truth".

He was less blunt and ruthless than Rutherford, true;, but he was an organization man above all else and, as such, he modeled a hard-nosed, unfeeling approach than has rubbed off on the arogant "tone" of the organization to this day.

• Hecce
    Hecce

Chapter 5. Sex in the City

by John Bechtel on July 17, 2009
    in Bethel, Jehovah's Witnesses, Uncategorized

Shortly after you arrived at Bethel you were invited to attend the “New Boy Talk”, a friendly informal chat session with the President and patriarchal head of the Watchtower Society. He would talk for one whole morning to a group of new Bethlites about sex. Most of us were pretty ignorant on the subject, and so Brother Knorr would explain wet dreams and the evils of masturbation and fornication, and how to date and marry. In my particular ‘new boy talk’ I remember him encouraging us to take our girlfriends to the beach to find out how well endowed they really were, so there would be no great disappointments later. I wondered at the time if he was speaking from personal experience and if his wife’s breasts had been smaller than he’d expected.

http://www.johnbechtelblog.com/uncategorized/chapter-5-sex-in-the-city/#more-79

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit