Performance Impact due to Google Indexing

by Simon 7 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

Just a heads up in case the site seems slow - you're requests are competing with Googlebot because it's being indexed and it's really going at it ... a minute ago there were 40+ instances fired up there were so many requests coming it. I guess the data doesn't have far to travel so it can hit things hard. I did have a throttle in place but took it off because I wanted to speed things up a bit ... well, it worked!

I've bumped the instance types up to more powerful machines to lessen the impact but it might be a big sluggish now and again so please bear with it.

At least it should be good for SEO. I've also recently added AMP (Accelerated Mobile Page) version of topics which should help anyone searching from a mobile device (which is increasingly common). Once it's all working properly it will likely become the default version for mobile users which should make things dramatically faster.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Sounds like all Greek to me.

• jeanniebeanzz
    jeanniebeanzz

Thanks, Simon. :)

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Magic, got it.

• freddo
    freddo

In the Queen's English please. So that a 5 year old can understand.

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

Good! The better indexing will hopefully up the SEO and drive traffic your way. (Hit dat AdSense boi!)

Personally, I like the fact that I'll be able to dig through old posts better. (Like classics from Leolaia or Terry)

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, I had a few things wrong which were sending the bots mixed messages - like saying index this / don't index that but for the same pages. The fixes and the new mobile features should both help with the searchability and traffic.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

I'm with Freddo and village idiot, Simon does and has for years managed a wonderful site, but a bit like GB he inhabits a world he thinks we all do,

All IT experts have plain English removed as they begin to speak, google language

Thanks again Simon, you clearly enjoy all this, simple Northern folk like me simply enjoy this site and trust you with "instances" etc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit