Time Indefinite

by StephaneLaliberte 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

From a very young age, I was always annoyed by this translation time indefinite simply means: time that has not been defined. Where the New World Translation uses "time indefinite", other translations use "everlasting" and "eternal". Honestly, it makes much more sense to me "everlasting" and "eternal" as "time indefinite" would leave room for god to define that time later on. I wonder why NWT uses "time indefinite"

• carla
    carla

Probably because they would have difficulties with- (just a few)

John 6:68 Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.

John 10:28-30 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.

1 John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.

Many scriptures regarding eternal life refer to Jesus and the wt doesn't have much use for Him, in my opinion.

Also just because they like to be different. Time is construct for man not God.

• hoser
    hoser

Eternal or everlasting life is a difficult term for the watchtower to use. It might imply that once you make it you would have everlasting life, which of course is only reserved for the leaders of the cult.

Time indefinite is much more appropriate as us peons might fail if we don’t do enough for them. Any good cult(or used car salesman) has to keep you interested enough to keep you in the sales funnel, while subtly telling you that you’re(or your trade in) is a worthless piece of shit.

• Overrated
    Overrated

Sounds like Bullshit to me! But as usual anything Watchtower puts out makes you roll your eyes and yell "bullshit " while others clap like well trained seals with out even using their brains.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Time indefinite is certainly Watchtower speak. Just like using underserved kindness instead of grace.

Side note - Eternal means without beginning or end.

• WokenfromJWcult
    WokenfromJWcult

They are always trying to be different from other religions by changing simple phrases to something not uncommon, like Cross as torture stake and now something else. The worst example is Crucufy . to the stake with him is almost obscene

• vienne
    vienne

I looked up the Hebrew word. It means "to the horizon" or as far as the eye can see. Hence, "time indefinite." There must be a better way to say that.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It seems that the WTS have dropped the phrase nowadays. I compared several texts in the old NWT against the 2013 edition and I could not find it in the later index.

Lev.3 : 17. (1984 NWT)

‘It is a statute to time indefinite for YOUR generations, in all YOUR dwelling places: YOU must not eat any fat or any blood+ at all.’”

(2013 NWT)

"It is a lasting statute for your generations, in all your dwelling places: You must not eat any fat or any blood+ at all.’”

There were plenty of other example but I had to look up my old printed Comprehensive Concordance.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    It seems that the WTS have dropped the phrase nowadays.

The Revised NWT cleaned up the worst of Freddy's "I don't give a hoot if it is an idiom, I'm going to translate it as literally as possible" renderings.

They did the same thing with "soul" and "Hades" - now it is, for the most part, "life" and "the grave".

Although there are still readability issues - for example they have replaced every instance of "fornication" with "sexual immorality" which is remarkably clunky.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

In a number of respects, the changes in the wording in the new NWT make the 2013 NWT more like leading Bibles of "Christendom", such as the NIV and NRSV. Even adding the book summaries, the pictures as part of study helps, and the front page where a person can write his/her name makes it more like the Bibles of the "churches". One example of a change is the removal of brackets there were around words that were there to supposedly "complete the sense in the English text".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit