Does God judge people on their physical aspects?

by pseudoxristos 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

Years ago, I attempted to discuss this topic with Jehovah's Witnesses in another Discussion Group. Looking back on the discussion, I found that I was never able to really get to the bottom of the subject.

I've never really understood Witnesses belief in the spiritual aspect of humans without some belief in a soul (or spirit). Since Witnesses do not believe that humans have a soul, then it stands to reason that they believe that we are simply physical beings. If this is the case, then God will ultimately judge humans on some physical aspect. This is pretty much equivalent to judging someone on their hair color.

The Witnesses belief that a persons "spirit" is simply their breath (which returns to God at death) is also confusing to me. I mean what is the point if there is no other significance to a persons spirit.

pseudo

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

God sure hated rejects in the OT. If you had one nut or a humpback then you were pretty much a loser. Jeehoober made China look good!

DD

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Here is a good question. In the New Testament, ( JWs try to ignore the new part, but you can't...) "death" is described by Jesus and Paul. Using only what the NT says, can you you explain what "death" is?

DD

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

This is an interesting question. And it comes down to materialism or physicalism which is the orthodoxy of the age we live in. You are correct to point out that if all that we are is reduced to physical then what are we but things? But we know that we are more than things. We are beings that perceive ourselves, others, and our surroundings. The you that thinks is as real as the legs that walk. One is physical and the other is not. Both are real. I have been reading a book about this by Mary Midgley that makes a lot of sense.

• alecholmesthedetective
    alecholmesthedetective
    For some reason this thread made me remember the quote 'do androids dream of electric sheep?' or something like it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit