Why do people need religion in this century?

by sweetgrass 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sweetgrass
    sweetgrass

Slimboyfat,

"When men choose not to believe in God, they do not thereafter believe in nothing, they then become capable of believing in anything.”

That makes a lot of sense to me.

• cofty
    cofty
    That makes a lot of sense to me

Not to me.

Many people give up on superstitions and become rational skeptics.

Believing in an all-powerful loving creator is to indulge in the most blatant confirmation bias.

What we want to be true has no bearing on what is true.

• Believer
    Believer

I've noticed that some posts are being deleted. Have the posters changed their mind, or have they been censored? Either way is fine with me since I'm not the administrator. But I would like to know why they are gone.

• sweetgrass
    sweetgrass

Well I find all points of view and theories interesting to read. I don't find posts that angrily dictate anything as fact from any kind of believing group or non believing or those in between interesting at all. Its like Eastenders or other soaps on tv, you turn it off because its plain old depressing and not good for anyones blood pressure!

Maybe a forum where rules about 'shouting' 'angry talk' 'ridicule' 'foul language' is in place should be set up. I may not agree with 'Believer' on everything and reading his point of view does not warrant abuse rants. Lol....I would be more than happy to ban, ban, ban and ban again any trouble makers at the first sign of incitement. Maybe a forum of twenty people is better than a big one filled with so many haters on all sides? I am away for 3 weeks so no responses from tomorrow does not mean I have quit.

• freemamaof3
    freemamaof3

I think people need it for the same reasons they have always needed it. To control other men through fear, to gain power and because of the uncertainty of what death is like and what happens to us when we die.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I think people need religion because of fear

i'm a christian and its just what i am

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit