BBC Medical soap features JWs and blood.

by scotsman 9 Replies latest watchtower medical

• scotsman
    scotsman

Tonight's episode of Holby City on BBC 1 starts a JW narrative that explores family estrangement and the blood issue. The outcome is explored again in a couple of weeks and is pretty favourable to the JWs.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

Whaaaattt??? A favorable segment on the BBC about Jehovah's Witnesses? When the media speaks the truth and exposes the organization's true reputation, it's "Satan's media" (Tony Morris). But when the media paints a quaint picture and puts the society in a nice light, it's quickly snapped up as Watchtower's PR tool.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I always found these programs to be inaccurate. Last time i seen this theme being explored on Casualty and the JW was wearing a headscarf (she died for want of blood) and the husband at the end said the Lords prayer in King James English.

The reason for refusing blood was "Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man." - Again, in King James English.

Im all for exposing their dangerous blood doctrine but i want it to be put out there accurately. Because people with JW friends will just say "what a load of nonsense, they dont wear headscarves! This is all rubbish." and switch over.

• scotsman
    scotsman

This time they have had *someone* help make the dialogue more believable, but there's a glaring anomaly in the back story.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Geez. You would think that all those millions of hours of "preaching work" would be more effective, wouldn't you?

And besides, all the script writers had to do was google jw blood doctrine and get it straight from the horse's mouth.

• compound complex
    compound complex

I remember a Dr. Kildare TV episode from the '60s where the young doc (Richard Chamberlain) gave a JW patient a transfusion, against her wishes. He was severely reprimanded by Dr. Gillespie afterwards.

Image result for Richard Chamberlain

• sparky1
    sparky1

compound complex: The episode was entitled, Reverence For Life and it aired on April 29, 1965.

However, Dr. Ben Casey beat Dr. Kildare to the controversial 'punch' with an episode that aired on October 9, 1961. It was entitled, But Linda Only Smiled. According to an old story in PEOPLE magazine, Vince Edwards, the man who played Dr. Ben Casey, was attacked by an irate Witness during a publicity appearance at a Tucson, Arizona shopping mall because he was offended by the show.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

FYI - below is the OP's TV programme:

Holby City: Series 19, Episode 36

For the Love of Maureen

Originally broadcast on UK BBC 1 at 8.00pm on Tuesday 13 June 2017 (except Scotland at 9.45pm)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAre4eWnARU

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

sorry - seem to be unable to edit posts at the moment....

The OP's TV programme was apparently broadcast in Scotland at 10.45pm and NOT 9.45pm as I stated above

Just a heads up - I seem to be having a programme with the forum - unable to edit (can click 'edit' button, get the green/red buttons but box with post disappears - likewise the new post box at bottom comes and goes, though the 'post reply' button remains - same on firefox and IE

• darkspilver
    darkspilver
    scotsman: Tonight's episode of Holby City on BBC1 starts a JW narrative that explores family estrangement and the blood issue. The outcome is explored again in a couple of weeks.

How did the narrative arc of the story play out?

AKA Does anyone actually watch Holby City nowadays?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit