Will you be giving a 'Witness' when your name appears in the obituary?

by was a new boy 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

'He remained faithful to Jehovah up to his death.'

I guess that means he never got in trouble with the Elders.
    'He enjoyed spreading the good news about God's Kingdom and helping others...'

New Light allows for a slideshow now days of the deceased, which is nice, compared to decades ago, when it was a nonstop recruitment talk.

I'll have to write one up someday.

Some time ago I read that a former child molester died, absolutely no 'witness' given in the obituary, it was very brief, not even one relative was mentioned, Nothing. The talk was given at the Kingdom Hall.
  • john.prestor
    john.prestor

It's tacky doing that, isn't it? I get that being a JW mattered to the guy, but... it comes across as tasteless.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

They just do that to save on postage for the ghoulish JWs that peruse the obits for their letter writing campaigns.

You know because they are so loving and thoughtful.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have left all arrangements for this Atheist's Funeral ( if indeed there is one), and disposal of my body etc, to my Executors (my kids). I doubt there will be an Obituary.

They know I abhor Religion, am an Atheist, as indeed are they, and know also I abhor wasting money, I hope they arrange to do whatever they want with the least fuss, expense and ceremony, and I hope they have a bloody good Wake in the Irish tradition of drinking, singing and drinking, and talking and drinking. Oh... and drinking.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

He obviously didn`t think much of the GB`s view on higher education by the look of things .Maybe theirs a niche here to do an anti-JW-witness with an obituary ,nah I don`t think so.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I don’t care what they say about me or what they do with my bones before I am cremated. I contend that funerals are for the benefit of the living who are bereaved, not the dead.

Since I am still known at the Hall I dare say my nearest and dearest would ask for a J W service.. I don’t know what they could say about me though.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

when my JW dad died 5 years ago--i checked his will--and no mention was made of funeral arrangements. I was glad of that--the last thing i wanted was a jw propaganda opportunity.

As far as i am aware--he had no visits from any JW elders for over a year--and his jw grandkids ( my kids ) had never been near him--no letters --nothing.

so i arranged a very simple committal at the crematorium---no religious service-and i was his only relative there--plus 2 of my friends and 2 staff from the care home . There were no jw's there--probably because i never told any of them.

i think of my dad most days--and that is my definition of life after death---the dead live on in other peoples memory--till they are also gone.

• iXav
    iXav
    so i arranged a very simple committal at the crematorium---no religious service-and i was his only relative there--plus 2 of my friends and 2 staff from the care home . There were no jw's there--probably because i never told any of them.

@stan livedeath Was it strange for you to be at a funeral with very few people?

• iXav
    iXav
    It's tacky doing that, isn't it? I get that being a JW mattered to the guy, but... it comes across as tasteless.

When you were a good JW, did you have a different view on JW funerals?

There are things about the JWs that I cannot stand now but those same things didn't bother me when I was a true believer

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

iXav

@stan livedeath Was it strange for you to be at a funeral with very few people?

i find it strange to be at any funeral..i rarely go.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit