Here come the warm jets...

by The Rebel 6 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

In a previous post I mentioned I purchased a tape-deck to listen to "pear tree in the wilderness" by a very talented busker named Kai Jansen. Listening to his songs after 20 years created strong feelings and wonderful memories, yet I have to admit the songs didn't live up to expectation.

So yesterday for an experiment I sat down with my 10 year old boy and introduced him to the music of:-

Bowie, Eno, U2, Aldo Nova, The Smiths, The Who.

Orlandos comments " Absolute Rubbish !!". However Abba, did meet with his approval, which was odd because when Abba first made it I thought they were absolute rubbish.

Anyway if Armegeddon is further delayed:-

A) Do you think the great music of " The Beetles"" Bowie" " The Stones" " can survive and be appreciated in a hundred years time? Or will it just become " The Who?"

B) If yes by whom?

In my opinion songs like Happy Birthday are timeless, but iam not sure the great songs like " my generation" will survive.

The Rebel.

• prologos
    prologos

I think some of the beatle songs, other moderns, will emerge as winners in the future. Did Pachelbel's contemporaries have an inkling it would be played ad nauseum in our days?

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

How can anyone not like The Smiths?

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Lostandfound (Q) " How can anyone not like The Smiths ?

The Rebel. The Smiths:-

A) " Young girl, one day you will be old from Disappointed"

B) " Sir leads the troops, jealous of youth, same old suit since 1962"

Sadly the best bands of the 80s and the lyrics they sang may be forgotten 100 years from now, whilst happy birthday will still be sang.

The Rebel.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Personal taste, it's all personal taste.

I don't like the taste of cucumber and people have said, "oooooh, cucumber is lovely. why don't you like it?"

Me, "because I don't. Why do you like it?"

Arguments are pointless when it comes to personal taste.

I like certain bands and artists, but to say I like everything they ever did is a lie.

As long as personal taste doesn't come down to snobbery, then I won't laugh up my sleeve.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

The Smihs were part of Tony Wilsons music revolution in Manchester, lots of famous (now) names and the forming of THE Hacienda Club and Factory Records, times long ago........

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

But Punk, you are missing the point of " Punk" music. Longevity and reputation was never the point of punk music. It was however great music, and snobbery didn't come in to it. Punk Rock belongs in the 1970s and kids of today can no more appreciate that, than I can appreciate my grandmothers gramophone music.

The Rebel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit