Cookies.

by Lost in the fog 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

I went to have a look at the JW. Org website recently and I was asked if I would agree to accept cookies. I don't remember being asked that in the past.

Is it something new with them? And does it make you wonder what they are actually installing on your device to track you?

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    And does it make you wonder what they are actually installing on your device to track you?

Not much. Cookies aren't magical spying devices that can track your every move by themselves, or find out your true identity.

They can only be read and written by the site that placed them.

They have no capability beyond having some information written in them by a website, and hat information can later be read by the same website. There's nothing to 'install'.

In this case, jworg uses it to store login information for the secure part of the site. They could also use it to store some information about which articles you read and what search entries you made, so this information can be used to adapt what you see on your next visit.

They also (probably) use it to track individual (yet anonymous and unnamed) users/computers to analyze their visitors' behavior on the website (how often do you visit, how long do you stay, etc).

Their policy also mentions 3rd party cookies but these can hardly be used to let jworg know what other sites you've been visiting (it's technically not entirely impossible, but extremely unlikely as it would probably be very costly and I think even illegal)

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Also you can simply block/remove cookies for a website if you don't like the idea of having them.

Most (public) websites continue working just fine without them.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Do they get paid somehow for allowing cookies?

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

@biahi,

No.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Cookies are now being served with the Memorial Whine.

• tiki
    tiki

Omg Nathan....I choked on my coffee when I read that one!!! Thanks for the laugh!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit