How to accept and move on from JW's?

by Alostpuppydog 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• Alostpuppydog
    Alostpuppydog

Just like the title says, how does ones self start the transition out of the JW's belief system, since I will never be allowed to go to a Kingdom Hall and believe a lot of what they teach.

I guess more importantly how have you guys here moved on that have had some exposure to the JW's?

Any advice is more than welcomed and I thank those that have thus far replied to me!!!

• Alostpuppydog
    Alostpuppydog

I guess also, does anyone have any advice for building my relationship with my father who is an unbaptized publisher and is 'currently praying to Jehovah' and I am sure talking with the witnesses as to whether or not he is going to kick me out?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

As a believer, build your spiritual relationship exclusive of any other human. You go before God individually, not corporately, for judgement. If your dad is praying, thank him for the care, but point out you are seeking God alone as those people have cast you out physically and metaphorically. They aren't an option. Just state the fact with no recriminations. Then move on to better things.

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

I believe to transition from the JWs, one must first research the religion including all of the deep secrets that are not taught in the kingdom hall, then gradually fade from association from other jws.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Just like the title says, how does ones self start the transition out of the JW's belief system, since I will never be allowed to go to a Kingdom Hall and believe a lot of what they teach.

I guess more importantly how have you guys here moved on that have had some exposure to the JW's?

Any advice is more than welcomed and I thank those that have thus far replied to me!!!

Something that I notice here is that when it comes to leaving, transitioning out and maintaining a relationship with loved ones, there are lots and lots of discussions and suggestions regarding doctrine and believes, but very few addressing important considerations other than just looking for what to believe.

They have to do with what/how you feel. What made you decide to leave? What is your story? Did you join or were you born in that organization?

I found more important to deal with my feelings around the departure from the JWs that learning or even caring about what religious or spiritual path I was going to take after leaving. I knew nothing else, but I knew that what I grew up in was not who I am, nor what i care for.

Then there were anger, resentments, fears, confusion, but also hope and a degree of excitement. Realizing what I felt helped me properly deal with what I was taught for all my life up to that point, and decide for myself what and how much of that was useful to my new life.

Without dealing with how I felt, I could have never develop self love, a sense of self, a sense of true spirituality and the necessary confidence to deal with the family members who rejected me after. My spiritual path and my current believes came from the inside out, in time, and not from some message from anyone, nor from a bible, nor from some organization trying to impose ridiculous rules on me. But I needed to deal with how I felt first.

I strongly suggest you to start dealing with your feelings around the entire process, all the feelings, including those that the JWs try to convince you that you should not have or are "wrong". You are a human being with capabilities to trust yourself, your instinct and your good judgement. That confidence, which the JWs attack under the vice of "independent way of thinking", is key to help you move on with confidence.

Furthermore, your JW family members will see and notice, and some will respect that sense of confidence in how you feel about things, regardless of not having a specific belief or doctrine to fall on.

I hope this helps.

I guess also, does anyone have any advice for building my relationship with my father who is an unbaptized publisher and is 'currently praying to Jehovah' and I am sure talking with the witnesses as to whether or not he is going to kick me out?

Be respectful, a good example of a good, rational, well balanced person. Be loving, caring and responsible as a daughter. That gives you credibility when/if there are inquiries or discussions about your standing with being/not being a JW. You can show that you are nothing like what the JWs claim that people become when they leave.

• Disassociated Lady 2
    Disassociated Lady 2

Go out and make new friends, there are people out there who are caring and genuine. Have fun, go clubbing, celebrate Christmas etc. and don't feel guilty about it. Not all of us leave the JWs and engage in every act of immorality as the elders accuse us of. We all have our boundaries and in our hearts know right and wrong. Just enjoy being free. :-) xxx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit