Manchester Broughton Cong splitting to form two congs?

by Farmer Jim1 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Farmer Jim1
    Farmer Jim1

Can anyone verify or give any background info on why the Manchester Broughton congregation seems to have been split and become a Salford cong and a Crumpsall cong? Surprised that splitting congs is still a thing in the UK with the stagnation of figures.

• Incognito
    Incognito

Does the area offers benefits such as jobs, new development, schools, recreation, higher status or lower cost of living?

Even as the growth of JW numbers stagnate or decline, JW families will often relocate to other locations which they anticipate will be beneficial for their family. If enough move to one area, that may result in congregation growth in that area even as there may be a further decline in the area they moved away from.

• asp59
    asp59

Some times it's an self-righteous CO or someone else that claims organization sent him that are behind splitting of congregation. The could claim elder if not doing there job and it's better to split. Usually after some months one of the two congregation start doing really bad. And orders come from brach to unite congregation to help the one struggling. Seen this many times.

• Farmer Jim1
    Farmer Jim1

Thanks for the responses. I hadn’t considered socio-economic reasons, that’s a really interesting angle. The original cong had a massive territory and a diverse mix of deprived areas and affluent. With my cynical head on I just wonder if the real reason for the split has more to do with future plans for neighbouring congs. One of them has lost five elders in two years and is sat on a piece of land that could potentially be sold for several million pounds. That surely has to be a consideration for the org these days.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Ten bucks says they "split" it up, gerrymander the boundaries, create two "new" congos, then consolidate them back to one in a few years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit