Waking up a loved one....why it can be so difficult.

by Giordano 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Giordano
    Giordano

I recently watched season one of The Path........ a dramatic T.V. show that explores a cult that seems to me to be closer to Scientology then the JW construct.

However........ I was struck by actress Michelle Monaghan's interview about the motivation of the person she portrays. I think she really gets to the issues we have all faced trying to convince a loved one about our doubts.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/path-finale-michelle-monaghan-interview-896010

"This is someone who was raised within the movement; it’s the only thing that she’s ever known, and I think the idea even for her to consider that it’s based on lies or it’s not real is just unfathomable. She’s a wife, she’s a mother, but above all of that, she’s a devout follower, so it supersedes her family as well. And you see that as you go through the season, you realize this is a woman who’s willing to lose everything in the name of her faith. She’s empowered by her convictions. To have any doubt at all, her world would implode. It’s self-preservation for her, I think, to just keep moving forward and to not look back."

One of the things we do on this site is to offer help, share our experience's and caution newly 'awake' JW's to take it slow especially with one's family. The above description is a reminder that a loved one will often hold onto their faith even to the point of having it supersede the most important relationships in their lives.

• EyesOpenHeartBroken
    EyesOpenHeartBroken

Well said, Gio. Sadly, that is the reality many of us face when we learn the facts. People we dearly love and have viewed as rational, have the JW part of themselves walled off with fortress like protection.

My current model is just love and live. I'm trying to show a better way by example only. The hardest part is with my husband because in the past, I have always been completely intellectually and emotionally open with him, but that didn't go so well when I learned the TATT. So I backed off sharing any facts with him, and I am just trying to be the best family woman I can and I began getting involved in community efforts and charity. Interestingly, lately he has initiated skipping meetings and service for family time.

We will see how it goes....

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    To have any doubt at all, her world would implode. It’s self-preservation for her,

So true. It was really hard for all of us, if we were sincere in the faith. Some ,in fact many people just will not face up to it..

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

After years in the organisation it is similar to you being in ICU, drugged, drowsy, decisions made for you, drift in and out or realities, Doctors and nurses all powerful as are elders, visiting time controlled and visitors advised what not to do to harm your recovery, you lie there wanting to get out but all movement gone, immobile, powerless to even think rationally. Everything you do is controlled, any thought of escape impossible. Only difference in ICU the aim is to aid your recovery. In the org the aim is to keep you drugged and stop your recovery.

• talesin
    talesin

I've been watching this show, and particularly relating to the son, Hawk, and his struggles with embracing what we knew as 'baptism'. I didn't have a high school love interest, but I was increasingly aware that the 'world' was normal, and the JWS was not. This show really gets to the heart of the matter.

The mother is a complex character - torn between her love of her beautiful and truly loving husband, Eddie, and her "born-in" indoctrination into the Path. She seems to have a keen mind, yet clouded by the cult .. it's a brilliant series, and I look forward to future episodes (very cathartic).

Gio, loved that song! My PM function is not working ATM, and I can't reply, but wanted to let you know... her voice reminds me of Loreena McKinnitt (amazing) ... beautiful, haunting, and thank you so much for sending me the link. xx : )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit