You must not say Gee, Gee wiz, or Golly

by Truth and Justice 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Truth and Justice
    Truth and Justice

Before I start my subject post, I like to extend a warm welcome to all the new members that have joined the site. I just can't keep up with all the new names. Nice to see all of you here.

I haven't posted anything in a while because of work, scheduling and everything else, but I do have some interesting thoughts that I would like to share with all of you in the coming months. So, to start off with something light-harded, I have always had a feeling about the over bearing hand, the many rules and regulations that must be followed. As I grew up, my parents always instilled in us that we should use our conscience, because its a way to guide us as Christians or good people.

Then as time went along as little kids that we were, (if my memory serves me right, this was in the late 1970's) I was playing games with my siblings, and for some reason, I blurted out the word "Gee", well, that didn't go well with my Mom. She said, "Hey, didn't you learn anything at the meeting, you are not to say words like "Gee, Golly, or Gee-Wiz, because those words are the derivative of the expression "G-d dam." I said "Mom, I'm not swearing, and I would never use the Lord's name in vane." She says, "I know, but we're told not to say those things."

For those of you who don't remember, or those of you that were to young, this was brought out on a Thursday night for the Ministry school. It was the "Instruction talk that was 15 minutes long, taken from the book "The Theocratic School Guide" book. I don't recall the page numbers, but, there you have it.

To shorten the story, my parents and I have been out for a very long time. A lot of years went by, and I reminded my parents of the incident. My Mother says, "I really don't know what the big deal was, it's just rules and regulations as usual." So I was telling my folks, that even Television shows like "The Andy Griffith Show," and the "Leave it to Beaver" show used words like Gee, or Golly. And during that time error, when people had decency, the average person knew that the shows of that type never for a moment meant swearing towards God. You can see why Wally always said to Beaver when he was in trouble, "Gee Beave", because he was always in a jam.

I also recall a long time ago when I went to an assembly on a Saturday, and that evening, the movie that was showing was entitled "Indiana Jones", well, what do you know, the speaker the next day said, and I am paraphrasing, "Brothers, we want to be spotless and unblemished, not being enticed by the worlds ways, and seeing a movie such as "Indiana Jones", would not be acceptable in God's eyes. And I say to myself, "Gee", whoops, I didn't mean to say that.

So, I ask myself, why can't I use my own conscience to decide right from wrong. My thoughts are somebody gets ticked off that (Brother Feeble) is doing something that seems objectionable to them, they go to the elders, the elders go to the CO, then he calls Headquarters, and they say, OK, we'll discuss it in the board room and come up with a study article in the magazine. (And all this because of one person!)

So all I can say is "Gee", "Golly", why can't I use my own conscience?

Take care, everyone! And may the Good Lord take a liking to you! as Roy Rogers use to say.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

You must not say Gee, Gee wiz, or Golly - that's right. Somebody, somewhere, could have their feelings hurt.

And as we all know, hurting someone's feelings is the worst thing anyone can do.

Incidentally, I was lectured that "gee" was blasphemous (short for Jesus), and "golly" was racist (short for gollywog).

There's a word that I've not heard for a long time - gollywog.

Thankfully, Ken Livingstone banned it.

• stan livedeath
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp
    We can't say Gee, Gosh or Gee whiz? But we have no problem with Bible readings with children present that discuss Lot sleeping with his daughters, Noah dancing drunk and naked and producing disgusting videos regarding masterbation? You just can't make this sh*t up!
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Awake 1961 Nov 8 (courtesy of "watchtower archive.com):

Today, although the actual name of Jehovah is seldom used as an expletive, other expressions akin to it are used to a very great extent, and the name of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is very often misused. The common English expression blimy, a shortened form of Gawblimy really means "God blind me"; golly is a form of "God," just as begorra means "By God" and doggone it means "God damn it." Gee, together with Gee whizz, is generally a corruption of "Jesus." By crikey, cracky and criminy all involve the .original word "Christ."
    These facts being established, such words, among many more in common use, certainly have no place in the vocabulary of Christians
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    hey Blues---do you remember CO John Blaney ? my daughter called him " brother blimy"
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Funny, the latest broadcast mentions something about not using euphemisms or substitute swear words, and then he goes on to perform euphamistic acts of lewdness upon bread.

But no euphasisms..really?

Oh shoot, cheeses, there goes half my feckin lingo! What the fig am I supposed to say now?

Damn you WT and your gosh darn rules !!

• ZAPPA-ESQUE
    ZAPPA-ESQUE

Betcha by Golly Wow - that how it was ............for the Stylistics ........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alvEUFJtMw8&feature=player_detailpage#t=11

Love this song by the way !

• millie210
    millie210

Hey Truth and Justice, was that the same Indiana Jones movie that had he name Jehovah in it?

Seems one could have cancelled out the other!

I grew up in the cant say geez, gee or golly era too.

What fun!

• brandnew
    brandnew

WILIKERS !!!!!!!!

Mad Puppy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit