So... Are they done printing the number of partakers?

by thedepressedsoul 54 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    You kinda feel like that's coming - but I don't think they can get away with that.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

I too had the WTF face and I asked my wife "so why count the partakers at all?"

All this discussion about how its not accurate ... What's the point of counting? I foresee them not counting in the future.

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul
    I foresee them not counting in the future.

Exactly. It's a two serving purpose. It does away with the issue of everyone raising an eyebrow as the numbers go up and I think ultimately it will allow them to keep the number literal as only the people at the very top will know what the actual number is.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Plus they were really hammering home how its a "private" matter. Not even discussing who is annointed. They are really pushing the issue into the background.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I'm surprised the Watchtower didn't simply fake the numbers in order to show a steady decrease.
  • sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

what does always talking about the anointed or 144000 supposed to do for everyone else?
    does that teaching encourage anyone?

if they keep belittling the supposed importance of the anointed, what is the whole point? how does that make someone who thinks they have a 'special' calling supposed to feel? lol you cant feel 'special' , talk about it, think about it, then your not sure about it cause its only and invitation, lol. oh WTF for sure.
    where are the 'lessons' to benefit everyone else?
    how to be loving and giving?
    is everyone all happy and full of relief coming out of a meeting?
    nope.

can you imagine what children are making of all that?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

In reflective view that the anointed number is climbing, I would foresee them dropping this count altogether.

After all they've recently said many who partake are mentally off balanced .........so ?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I'm surprised the Watchtower didn't simply fake the numbers in order to show a steady decrease.

Looking at it from the assumption that the GB are true believers, victims of victims themselves, I think they can't quite bring themselves to actually fudge the numbers directly. Every unethical and deceitful thing they do has some justification (however hollow and invalid it is) that they can use to tell themselves that they're upholding the bible's moral standards. I don't know what justification they could find for blatantly lying by changing numbers like that - it would be worse than the out of context quotes and lies of omission. Either that or they're worried too many of the higher-ups would object to it and expose them if they find out. That's the only thing I can think of to explain the many indirect ways that they've used to manipulate the numbers - 15 minute field service reports, encouraging elders to collect late reports in august, telling elders to screen who they count as a partaker, etc etc. If they were comfortable just changing the numbers, it doesn't seem like they'd go to this much effort to tweak them indirectly.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I get that, but they are out right saying the number is false. So the question is, why print it?

It's a good point. Indeed, why bother printing it? Either a number is valid, or it's not valid. If the number has no validity against what is supposed to represent, then it should not be considered.

And they know this, so they have been planting the seeds for removing it, and they will soon.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

If the number of partakers isn't an accurate count of the anointed, then how many other numbers are wrong too? It all stems from the integrity of Jehovah's Witnesses, so if some are in effect lying about being anointed, how many other lies are JWs telling?

They shoot themselves in the foot when they acknowledge something like this, but then since they printed in the Watchtower that the number of anointed is declining, and that it is "conclusive proof" that we are in the last days, they have put themselves between a rock and a hard place. They can't say the increased number is true, but when they say it's false it makes them look very bad.

It couldn't happen to a more deserving religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit