A very short short story

by Terry 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

I wanted to see how short I could make a story and it still would be effective. You be the judge. Did I succeed?

____________SPENDING TIME WITH STRANGERS______

He sat on the edge of her bed and wept.
    Her head rested on the pale blue pillow. An angelic halo of hair shone illumined by the silver moon.

His trembling hand clasped the old woman's slender wrist. Her fragile arms were so carefully arranged across her chest. He choked and sputtered his words.

"Mother, I'm so sorry. I know I've been a disappointment to you. . ."
    The young man's words trailed off into a whisper.

Outside, the storm scattered deafening splashes against the window panes; rattling as though hell itself were breaking loose.

"I know you don't wah-want me spending time with strangers. . .um wuh- .women. . ."

He stuttered and kept his eyes downcast so as not to confront his mother's face.

" I hoped you wouldn't think. . .I would dis-disobey you. . on purpose."

A flash and thunder punctuated his awkward confession. All at once the rain subsided until the only sound was that of his own sobbing.
    Minutes passed.

Finally, he lifted his hand and dried his tears and stood to full height beside his mother's bed.

"Don't worry. I won't talk to her--that woman-- again unless it's about business."

He turned toward the door of the musty bedroom and remembered the light switch, flicking it on and wincing at the expression on his mother's face.

"Don't be ang-angry mo-mother. . I'll behave like a gent-gentleman."

He was about to exit the room when he whirled suddenly around. . .

He cocked his ear and the dripping leak next to the hall banister made itself known.

"Wha-what did you say, Mother?"
    He listened in the way priests listen for the voice of god.

"Oh--her. . her name?" He froze in place and forced a twisted smile of nonchalance.

"She said it was Craine. Marian Craine. . . sort of like, um the bird."

He stole a glance at the taxidermied owl he'd given his mom for Mother's Day all those years past.

Silence filled the murky room as he fidgeted and darted his eyes about.

Finally, the young man shrugged diffidently.

He entered the hallway and swiftly skipped down the carpeted staircase toward the front door where he paused and took in a deep breath, slowly exhaling--then proceeded into the humid night toward the motel office.

There were things which must be done.

Mother would be pleased.
    _______

End
  • compound complex
    compound complex

Nice, Terry!

Should I pm my suggestions? I don't like making edits public on forum posts, unless the writer is all right with it.

BTW: Marion Crane . . .

CoCo

• Terry
    Terry

As the 3 stooges might say, "Soit-un-ly!"

Thanks!

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Scary! so i guess it's effective! I enjoyed it!

Marina

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    Psycho fan-fic. Cool!
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    "For sale: baby shoes, never worn."
  • Terry
    Terry

Vidiot--that is THE classic example of an effective short story without doubt.

This May 16, 1910 article from The Spokane Press recounts an earlier advertisement which struck the author as particularly tragic.

• steve2
    steve2

Reluctant feedback: There are far too many adjectives in your stories, Terry. They tend to lend the writing a stilted quality.

My guess is the more you can be sparing in your use adjectives, the more effective your writing will be - because your word pictures are vivid in and of themselves.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Steve, I second that. Terry, I love your creativity and your stories are definitely that. I hope that this constructive criticism doesn't serve to squash but helps to refine your talent.

I otherwise am reluctant to touch the hem of your garment.

• talesin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit