Taking the Bible Lessons And Going To a KH For First Time

by Cold Steel 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

The good news is that Mormonism and the Watchtower have had their day. The internet is exposing the lies in both cults and finding new members is increasingly difficult,

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Mormons more fanciful with their ideas. JWs are more dangerous.

https://youtu.be/PP0LnxzN3zk

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Doesn't sound like a place I'd be comfortable being.

No shit. Try being raised as one pal it's even worse.

• dozy
    dozy

For a start - there are very few "potential converts". The few who do turn up tend to have "issues" , are quite gullible & socially vulnerable and aren't the type to generally ask any questions ( if they were the curious ,questioning type , they probably would have googled JWs and wouldn't have turned up at the KH or accepted a study in the first place. )

Occasionally someone does "take an interest" & starts asking awkward questions. These tend to be batted away or the person taking the study will tell the student that the answers will come later & try to stick to the script.Too many questions & the study will be ditched , generally.

Many years ago , pre internet era , I sat in on a study a pioneer in our congregation had where the person ( a retired nurse - intelligent ) began asking lots of questions about blood & contradictions in the Society's policy. We tried to answer as well as we could but she didn't seem convinced ( I was starting to be on my way out as well & knew the policy was full of nonsense and had been made up on the hoof ).

I asked the pioneer a few weeks later how the study was coming along & she said she had just dropped it as the woman was asking too many questions & wasn't following the study pattern in the Knowledge book. She had downgraded the call to a "route call" ( where she just dropped off the magazines every couple of weeks or so. ) Sadly , I wasn't surprised - that is pretty much par for the course - no JW wants a "high maintenance" study who isn't making progress.

• Island Man
    Island Man
    Mormon cult v JW cult
    No difference.

No, no, no! The Mormon cult is definitely more stupid because there is a lot more evidence disproving more of it's ridiculous claims given how recent it's holy book is and the falsifiable nature of its claims. You have to be more gullible to join the Mormons as an adult, than to join the JWs.

The JWs on the other hand, are using the Bible which is much older and less falsifiable than the book of Mormon. So even though the claims are also stupid they are also less falsifiable so it's a tad bit less silly to fall for the JWs. On the other hand, the JWs are more dangerous than the Mormons.

So Mormons are dumber than the JWs but a bit less dangerous/harmful. The JWs are a tad bit less dumb, but more dangerous/harmful.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    The Mormon cult is definitely more stupid because there is a lot more evidence disproving more of it's ridiculous claims given how recent it's holy book is and the falsifiable nature of its claims. You have to be more gullible to join the Mormons as an adult, than to join the JWs.

This is something that's moot at best. Most people who make such statements are completely ignorant of the facts. They read that there are no evidences on a website or in a book, then they spout it off as if they're authorities. My only point in mentioning my religion was because the JWs were insistent on making it an issue rather than actually teaching me about their religion.

If people really believe there is no evidence to support the Book of Mormon, how do they explain the existence of Nahom (NHM), or the existence of Bountiful (in the exact spot it's supposed to be)?

And how about the first Lehite encampment in Saudi Arabia? For decades critics have asked where, in Saudi Arabia, is there a "river of water" in a valley that emptied into the Red Sea? Thanks to researchers with the Nephi Project, there is such a place three days from Jerusalem (just as the Book of Mormon states). Lehi and his sons record they built an altar of stones there and there is an altar of stones at the site. Shards of pottery found at the location (identified as a campsite) dated to circa 600 B.C., the exact time of the Book of Mormon events.

Critics ask where in the Empty Quarter Nephi could have built a ship, and where he would have found the trees, who could have helped him and where he got the tools? They point out that there is no such place with idyllic conditions, with honey, grains, fruits, tropical weather and so forth. But if one finds Nahom and goes due east (as the Book of Mormon describes), one crosses the Empty Quarter and finds a place that directly matches that description. Trees, plenty of ore for tools, builders who lived and worked there, majestic cliffs with honey bees, grains, figs and harbor areas perfect for building ships. No one in New York knew these things in 1830.

One member of the party, Ishmael, died early on en route in the Book of Mormon and was buried at "a place called Nahom" (a Hebrew term meaning "comfort"). In Joseph Smith's day, no one knew that a place called Nahom existed. Critics say it's all coincidence (right!), but in 1995, archeologists began finding interred bodies at Nahom. First they found the place in the right spot and it was a "coincidence." Then it was found to be a burial site. More coincidence? Hmmm.

For those who claim there is no evidence to support the Book of Mormon, take a look at Jeff Lindsey's Evidences website. Perhaps our critics should read a bit about these things before pontificating about it. Obviously, if the book is not what it claims it should be perfectly safe to say there's no evidence. But if I didn't think there was something to it, I wouldn't be a believer, and no one who knows me believes me to be a fool.

In the LDS faith one may visit whatever church one wishes to, read any book one wishes to; there's no shunning, no one sticks their noses into what books are on the dining room table, whether you keep a gun for self defense and we can give or receive blood as necessary to preserve life. There is nothing that even approximates what JWs have to go through with their elders. There's no fear.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    How heavy were the gold plates?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OyTBtRAIqkw

• Landy
    Landy

You sound like a good honest Mormon Cold Steel,

You should stick with it.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

Their fatal flaw is that they believe God has chosen them when God has not even been in touch with them.

The irony of this statement is dripping, spilling, flooding, no, overflowing out everywhere!

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Yup sticking with the mormon church is certainly a good idea for you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit