GB Daniel Sydlik died ten years ago today (on April 18, 2006)

by AnneB 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno
    Jeffrey Dahmer seemed like such a decent fellow.
  • the girl next door
    the girl next door
    Cangie, I stand corrected. And you are exactly on spot.
  • Cangie
    Cangie
    Hi, @the girl next door...it's fine. :-)
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    CC, chicken soup the Jewish penicillin!
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

the girl next door - I'm in the UK. I had no idea that 'boy' was used as an insult. I've learned something about the U.S. culture....apart from the black guy always dies at the start of a hollywood film and Brits are always the villains.

Dan Sickprick is dead. As Jook said, he was no 'nice person', he could have made a difference. think how many children, adults would not have been abused and damagaged if he'd had the guts to STOP PROTECTING PAEDOPHILES!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    Punk, using the word to "boy" to people of ethnic origin in the UK is very much an insult and one of the very worst, and I have experience of it,my ex boss is Indian and I heard him almost explode when he was called a "boy" one time. Sickprick LOL!
  • Cangie
    Cangie

I'm not going to belabor this, but I would like to clarify, since some of you were not aware of this, and I think it is a rather interesting phenomenon. In the history of the US South during slavery and for a long time afterward, it was common for a white male, especially, to address a black male as "boy" and a black female as "girl." This was to make it extremely evident that they were not respected, were not their equal and were considered to be on the level of a child. This was ok even if the white person was much younger, and the black man (or woman) was 80 years old. It was also common for a black man/woman to be addressed only by their first name, no matter how old they were, and never as "Mr. or Mrs." This led to the common behavior among black people of referring to one another by only their last names, therefore, if a white person wanted to address them, they only had that name by which to do it.

I'm a black woman, and to this day, I will NEVER allow a child to address me by my first name, as is the customary habit among young parents today. I also lived in the South for a period of time, and was referred to as "the girl" when I was grown, married, and the mother of 2 children. That got corrected quick, fast, and in a hurry, as you might imagine...lol This is why it was an offense of the highest degree for the young Bethelite to be called "boy" by Sydlik and I can't imagine what he felt at being addressed as the N-word!

Climbs down off of soapbox, and wanders off to put it away... :-)

• fulano
    fulano
    USA has still a long way to go... Civilized country, my a*^, can't even eat decently with knife and fork.
  • DNCall
    DNCall
    This is the third Governing Body member I have heard this story attributed to. The others were Carey Barber and Lyman Swingle. I have interacted with all three of them and my money is on Carey Barber. I don't believe Dan or Lyman would have behaved this way and certainly not in a public setting.
  • poopie
    poopie
    Incorrect that was not sydlik that was Lyman swing from utah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit