A 'typical JW' story

by joey jojo 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

I am friends with an elderly 'worldly' woman, who was unaware I am an ex-jw. She employs a JW husband and wife pioneer couple for odd jobs around her house- mowing, cleaning etc. The couple has been working for her and her recently deceased husband for years.

Just before the 2019 international convention, despite the fact that the husband was fighting his last battle with illness, the couple kept asking him to attend the convention with them. They were a friendly couple and didn't mind the request but understandably, couldn't attend due to illness.

Now here is the 'typical jw' part.

The woman I am friends with believed the jw couple to be genuine acquaintance's. They had been involved with the elderly couples lives for years. They had persistently asked the couple to attend meetings and found no problem with talking about their jw faith, yet despite that, my friend didn't judge them, she and her husband simply accepted them for who they were. They are wealthy, staunch, well- mannered church going catholics by the way.

When her husband died, she was hurt that the jw couple did not attend the funeral because it was held in a catholic church. They had pestered them for years about attending conventions and meetings, yet couldn't offer any basic, human respects in return.

It makes me think that all the hours spent witnessing, all the videos, magazines and zoom meetings that jw's feed into their brains, couldn't help them recognise real friendship when it is staring them in the face, or offer any real support. Any good opinion my friend had of the couple, built up over years was diminished - just like that, once the jw's showed their true colours.

• Overrated
    Overrated

When JW's don't get their way they get passive aggressive to who ever they where involved with.

• ShotWhileTryingToEscape
    ShotWhileTryingToEscape

The Watchtower training impairs the free flow of natural empathy.

It is painful to hear how the Catholic couple believed their Jehovah’s Witness helpers were friends after all those years.

I wonder if the Catholic woman’s hurt would be ameliorated if she knew that these hard core JWs only doing their “job” both in their paid labors and their friendliness or if she knew how this same JW couple would cut off their own children if they had converted to Catholicism. If she knew that she might realize that what happened to her wasn’t personal.

Yep. We were trained to do Jehovah’s work. Nothing personal. Pretty sick stuff. Glad l am out.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

People just find it hard to believe how heartless JW's really are. They've heard stories about how they disown their own children and close family members but they believe it is just some rare occurrence. They reason, "the JW's I KNOW would never treat me that way." That is, until they experience it for themselves.

The likely reality is that lady was nothing more than a potential convert (bible study) nothing more, nothing less. When her husband died, it was simply one less return visit to count.

• waton
    waton
    that lady was nothing more than a potential convert

SB and as such, "counted" as a backcall, return visit, and hours in the "field" ministry. Pioneer hours on pay.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Should have informed elderly "Worldly" friend that not only were the JW's not "real" friends, but that any time they spent discussing beliefs was marked down as "time" towards their field ministry hours for the month. Bet THAT shit would have really made her jaw drop!

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Many years ago I recall offering the Watchtower & Awake! magazines to a person at his doorstep. He stated he would take and read my magazines if I took and read his Catholic magazine. I refused thinking I did the right thing. It has the same underlying principle - Witnesses have 2 street signs in their world: One Way and No Turn. Pretty hypocritical.

The funny part was shortly after that we had a Circuit Overseer visit and the CO brought up this scenario. The CO stated that it was alright to take and even read the magazine if it meant getting Watchtower literature in the householder's hands.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

My Ex-JW friends - whom I considered as family - stopped talking to me after I got Disassociated. It has been 10 years since.

Thats the way JWs operate. Like Programmed Robots.

• dozy
    dozy
    The CO stated that it was alright to take and even read the magazine if it meant getting Watchtower literature in the householder's hands.

That isn't official Society policy. Sounds like the CO is going off on his own views there...

• Longlivetherenegades
    Longlivetherenegades

@ EverApostate

All those friendship goes into the drains with one ACTION of disassociation. They will walk pass your house without an HELLO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit