Who/what is a "white' man?

by fulltimestudent 1 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Last year National Geographic published this feature that discussed the origins of Europeans, who I guess are the typical 'whites' in the imaginations of some white people.

West Asia's Contribution to European Ethnicity. (That's my title not NatGeo's - Grin)

National Geographic's title for this feature was: 'The first Europeans weren’t who you might think.'

The article argues that "Europeans today are a mix. The genetic recipe for a typical European would be roughly equal parts Yamnaya (from the Russian Steppes) and Anatolian farmers (from what is now Turkey)., with a much smaller dollop of African hunter-gatherer. But the average conceals large regional variations: more “eastern cowboy” genes in Scandinavia, more farmer ones in Spain and Italy, and significant chunks of hunter-gatherer DNA in the Baltics and eastern Europe."

I'm not having a shot at anyone, after all, I suppose I'm a typical white person - pale skin, fair hair, blue eyes, etc. though I should admit to having two grandmothers who may not have been quite so pure white. One was dark-skinned, but there are no family whispers suggesting any infiltration of indigenous Australian 'blood,' into my lily-white veins. But such accusations have been made against my other grandmother, although she did look to be pure-white. That accusation comes from some of her descendants who claim to have researched the family ancestry, and found that one of her close male forbears had enjoyed some 'black velvet,' as it was known in those days. But I don't give a proverbial rat's arse. I am what I am, and (hopefully-another grin!) logical enough to admit that sometimes racial mixing produces a superior product, in me, if not in all. (That is to say, that if any way I shine, it may be because that ancestor enjoyed that womanly black velvet and did not discard any children produced by that union)

Hope you enjoy this article.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/2019/07/first-europeans-immigrants-genetic-testing-feature/#close

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

'White man' means ethnic Europeans.

It ain't rocket science.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit