Old Nick

by Carol1111 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Carol1111
    Carol1111
    A friend had some JW's knock at his door and satan was discussed. My friend kept referring to satan as 'Old Nick'. The JW's seemed rather upset by this. Is the JW regard for satan a form of worship?
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Sounds like they're just being prescious about 'correct' titles and names. My Dad was a JW and referred to the Debbil as Old Nick from stilton
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

It annoys JW's if you do not seem to be going along with their view that the debbil is a real entity.

They also get annoyed if you refer to their god as jehoober and them as jehubbadubbs.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    It annoys JW's if you do not seem to be going along with their view that the debbil is a real entity. They also get annoyed if you refer to their god as jehoober and them as jehubbadubbs.

I imagine it would. "Old Nick" is a colloquial and accepted term for many 19th and 20th century folks and the JWs may resent the tone of familiarity in the reference. They'll just have to get over it. As for the other terms, many Christians refer to the Old Testament God as JEHOVAH, or YHWH. And it would be considered bad form to refer to either as "jehoober" in mixed company. Some consider the terms as sacred.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit