After leaving what did you Major in?

by Luther bertrand 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I went nuts on studying the Bible, ancient religions, archeology, evolution and astronomy. After the awakening my brain is more fully on, the world is raw but it like it's also massive and awe inspiring.

• kaik
    kaik

I went to STEM, my undergrad is IT and computer programming, and my Masters is related to Earth Science/GIS/computer programming. I am thinking to go for PhD in GIS and remote sensing (have mind set up either in VT, GMU, University of Colorado, Maryland, or UT in Dallas) or go for another master that would be related to IT/CS.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    History.
  • Luther bertrand
    Luther bertrand
    wow lots of responses! I am trying to think of resources to give to the next round of exjw and fading JWs on how to get through school because I was not aware of all the resources. What did you guys find useful? I have also recognized that many of us fall into the catagory of non-traditional adult learners. Am I wrong?
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Yes you're right, I did a distant learning degree, starting at 32. In the UK and parts of Europe we have the Open University. I would highly recommend it, although I found the tutors varied from year to year, some good, some bad, but the teaching materials were excellent.
  • zeb
    zeb
    The social sciences would attract as jw are for the most looking for a better world. The ones you speak of, the now ex jw left the wts because they wished to make a difference and most recently not be part of the problem.
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

If I am honest, since leaving I have tried to gain an education in the university of life. I wouldn't say I have majored in it, in fact I have failed on quite a few assignments, but I am enjoying the education.

The Rebel.

• done4good
    done4good

I also took the STEM approach and did my undergrad long before I left, having two rather liberal, slightly older JW friends that made it possible for me to go college as a JW. I earned a B.S. in Telecommunications Management at the time, (that was 25 years ago). I much more recently earned my masters of engineering in Networked Information Systems with a concentration in business practices. I am quite certain I would not have pursued a masters, had I remained a JW.

I certainly do not regret any of that, as it allowed to be become quite successful over the last 22 years or so. However, if I had not been raised a JW, I likely would have taken a more pure science route and majored in physics. I still plan to work on a doctorate in electrical engineering.

d4g

• Alpaca
    Alpaca
    Everyone loves a good story. Geology grabbed me because it is greatest story ever of the earth and all of the life that has ever existed on it. Geology, B.S., Geology, M.S., followed by a J.D.
  • Caedes
    Caedes

Mechanical engineering, I do research and design on tools for energy companies. Mainly oil and gas although starting to see more and more green energy companies now. Doing quite a bit with safety systems and wave energy at the moment.

If i could do something different possibly paleontology or archeology.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit