What kind of restrictions are people put under when their behaviour has been considered worthy of disfellowshipping but have managed to avoid the big "D"?
Me (going back a bit):
1. Never to be in the company of the lady unchaperoned although we were "betrothed".
2. Removed from ministerial servants position.
3. Not allowed to pray in the congregation at all, including book study.
4. Removed as Watchtower study conductor.
5. Removed as public speaker and talks at Service meetings.
6. Removed as pioneer.
7. Report to PO once a month.
Amazingly, I missed none of those things and relished the freedom from responsibility. Although I was still living at my parents house, I took up lorry driving as my occupation and was more than happy to miss meetings when I was away. This was the start of my long fade from JW's. The restrictions that were imposed upon me actually resulted in me being less open to the daily brain-washing that most witnesses unwittingly accept.