Generation Nonsense in today's WT

by Slidin Fast 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

This was not in any context with a "generation" discussion,

My point was, not that this has any relevance to the "generation" in Matt 24 but that it makes the whole overlapping generation theory absolutely senseless.

The congregation sits there nodding at absolutely any BS they are served up. Yes, according to this WT Shem and Abraham are the same generation. It just demonstrates how meaningless and tortured the WT generation theory is. Don't try and apply it to any sort of timescale, your head will explode.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

When it comes to overlapping generations, I wonder how do they explain Psalms 90:10

"The days of our years are seventy years; and if by reason of strength they are eighty years, yet is their strength labor and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away."

I can see how a person could consider someone born a few years before or after they were, as being part of their own generation. A 50 year old may think of a 55 year old as part of his own generation but these great overlaps of years where you and your grandfather are part of the same generation, don't make sense no matter how many times the Watchtower tries to explain it.

A lot of JW's go silent and their eyes glaze over when this topic comes up .

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

i googled how long is a generation just out of curiosity, because i can recall that it was once accepted that a generation was 20 years so here we have this short article...... [and im just as confused,lol] but, Jesus wasn't giving a future prophesy,he was speaking about then, THIS generation. current. the one he himself was part of or was immediately following his. but im going to say the current one he was part of .

http://isogg.org/wiki/How_long_is_a_generation%3F_Science_provides_an_answer

but really, what is the purpose of a bunch of stupid articles about generations and the different 'classes' of chosen ones, and times and end of the world ect ect got to do with being a good christian and helping your fellow man.

they are desperate for something to write about. lol

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    My point was, not that this has any relevance to the "generation" in Matt 24 but that it makes the whole overlapping generation theory absolutely senseless. - Slidin Fast

Thanks for this. Don't you just want to phone your relatives and say, how long are you going to take this sh*t for? I despair of my sisters and brother. Particularly my brother, he's awake I'm sure. Is being an elder really worth it bro?

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11
    Every one's life overlaps , so generation theory pointless. It's just a theory/doctrine designed to pacify valid queries re prophecy etc. Seems that nonsense overlaps too...
  • prologos
    prologos

Dk 775T: "think about this: Adam was supposed to be born about 6000 years ago and Jesus is "the last Adam" so that's at least a 6000 year generation, no that is taking it too far, the two Adams did not overlap. but:

if Shem lived to 630! and Abraham to 175!, and they overlapped by 150, that makes these two grouped into one -- generation one of 655 years long, - deduct 5 years for the age of memories of Abraham,= 650 ; plus 1914= 2564 CE. better (for wt) than 2075 derived from 2 overlapping Freddy Franzes.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

According to some Hebrew traditions, Shem and Melchizedek were the same person. After the flood, Shem vanishes from the record. We also have no genealogy for Melchizedek, King of Salem, and Melchizedek was more of a title than a name. Clearly, Melchizedek had priesthood authority and he collected tithes and offerings from Abraham. It's unusual that one would just vanish and that the other would pop up in the same generation.

When it comes to overlapping generations, I wonder how do they explain Psalms 90:10
    "The days of our years are seventy years; and if by reason of strength they are eighty years, yet is their strength labor and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away."

The generations of man were reduced over time. Ages dropped dramatically after the flood and no reasons are given. Some have suggested that the introduction of ozone into the air after the flood had something to do with it, but it's merely speculation.

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

If the Governing Body do not go back to the drawing board and come up with new light on this Generation doctrinal nonsense they will continue to be seen as deceivers and twisters of the English language and if they truly believe it idiots.Every sane person knows that when a man and a woman become mummy and daddy a new generation has arrived.

If a generation overlaps and overlaps onto the next generation obviously by definition its a different genealogical category in fact you could call every generation by a category number or letter right down through the ages, its simple, category A is totally not the same as B .

How do the Witnesses explain the expression The Generation Gap if there is no difference.

• Nameless
    Nameless
    I'm in my mid 50's, so I think they're waiting for us to die off and gradually make the switch. Their focus is on younger ones now. I think they may believe they can switch with no problem in the next few years. They keep throwing this "historic" crap to keep everyone off guard. Outside a few young people, it's been the older ones dropping out. They always prep WT study articles with small hints. It's like a worldwide focus group on what they can dish out.
  • Jordandemm
    Jordandemm
    @nameless i know right just a few weeks ago a couple from a congregation just disassoiated right out of the blue. Yh i agree with you about the whole historic thing looking at the past few articles showing how past biblical figures can help us serve God, i mean the govering body better. Cant wait till im fully out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit