Number of Comments per Page Selection not Visible

by Village Idiot 4 Replies latest forum tech-support

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I can no longer see the number of comments per page option that lets you decide between 10 or 20 posts per page. I automatically get 10 comments per page whichever thread I'm on.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, sorry, I've taken it off at least for the time being.

The number of people who ever used anything other than the default was minuscule but it added a huge cost in technical terms (cacheability, increased search engine crawling etc...). It just helps to simplify some things in preparation for other changes.

I've been experimenting with a much simpler system of continuous scrolling which should be much faster and easier to use and not require any conscious pagination at all.

Sorry if anyone desperately liked using 5 or 20 items per-page in the meantime.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    If I may suggest 20 pages as default. Scrolling will make it difficult for us to find a particular post especially if it's a long thread. The page numbers really help us in zeroing in to a particular post.
  • Simon
    Simon

I think page numbers currently help, but they are not the only solution. Some other alternatives for finding things (either alone or in combination):

• filter posts by poster
    • filter posts by timestamp
    • filter posts by content (within-topic search)

I think the most common thing to do with topics is usually to go to the last point you read up-to which should be the simplest optimized behavior. Finding a particular post shouldn't rely on remembering which page it was on.

• Incognito
    Incognito
    • Finding a particular post shouldn't rely on remembering which page it was on.

As a suggestion, a method to flag threads that we may wish to return to (a watched thread icon) or alternatively, a 'favorites' list, similar to web bookmarks.

There also could be an icon to indicate which threads we have participated in.

I too preferred 20 comments per page so I'm finding 10pp to be somewhat 'frustrating', for lack of a better word.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit