Apheresis Blood Donation

by Marvin Shilmer 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Looking for research material:

The process of apheresis donation involves removal of whole blood from a patient or donor. Within a centrifugal type instrument components of the whole blood are separated. One of the separated portions is then withdrawn—the part being donated—and the remaining components are infused back into the donor.

My research is to answer the question, does the Watchtower Society permit apheresis donation—particularly plasmapheresis—when the donated component will only be used to provide a blood component therapy that is deemed "a conscience matter."

I feel as though this may be looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack, but instinct tells me there is precedent somewhere that apheresis donation—particularly plasmapheresis—is quietly allowed by the Watchtower Society as "a conscience matter."

M. Shilmer

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Marvin,

good information. I'll search on wt
    publications anything published on "apheresis " and post
    again. Thanks.

Agape, J.C. MacHislopp

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

The Society has often stated that when blood is broken down beyond the 4 main components, it is no longer blood. Therefore if one is donating anything beyond the 4 major components, by the Society's definition, that individual is not donating blood at all. Besides, the acceptable components have to come from somewhere.

The problem is probably what the Society's position is presently on the blood being removed for the time period that it is in the centrifuge. In the past the blood had to be moving in a loop if it was outside the body. Recently, I think there may have been some more leeway given in this area.

If the blood is not outside the body for extended periods to be separated, perhaps this procedure could be considered a "conscience matter".

Sad isn't it?

Path.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

J.C.:

Searching Watchtower literature will not find the sought after precedent. It is not there. This information will be found in a letter to a hospital liaison committee, an isolated congregational letter or maybe in some obscure medical journal where a Watchtower Society representative offered it.

Pathofthorns:

This whole situation is sad, isn’t it. Your reasoning is part of why my instincts tells me there is precedent.

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Marvin,

you were right...nothing in the Index or Cd!
    I do believe the key word - in this blood issue - concerning
    the apheresis procedure is : - DONATION -

I'll continue...in an other direction.

Agape, J.C. MacHislopp

P.S. Btw did you like my post about
    the London Bethel repr.?..Paul...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit