Disfelowshipping acknowledged by wt as a weapon

by poopie 20 Replies latest jw friends

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    Hey slimboyfat, got a reference for that? I'd love to see what you're talking about. I don't remember that at all. I can look it up if I still have a CD-ROM, but don't really know what I'm looking for.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''This was one that puzzled me when we studied The Greatest Man book. How strongly it condemned the Jews for practising shunning. Bizarre''

Always confused me too!!!!!

• steve2
    steve2

The act of condemning other groups for egregious practices such as enforced shunning but robustly defending its use in one's own group follows the very old principle which states in one form or another:

"We alone have the true religion so comparing our actions with those in false religions doesn't count".

That excuse-promoting principle has enabled countless groups to literally get away with murder across the centuries as its disgusting variants play out in group, after group, after group - most hiding behind some form of "Thus sayeth the Lord/Allah etc'.

Care to guess the name of the latest group to follow this warped principle?

• blondie
    blondie

A good scripture to show that Jesus did not shun sinners of his own religion

(Luke 5:27-32) 27 Now after these things he went out and beheld a tax collector named Le′vi sitting at the tax office, and he said to him: “Be my follower.” 28 And leaving everything behind he rose up and went following him. 29 Also, Le′vi spread a big reception feast for him in his house; and there was a great crowd of tax collectors and others who were with them reclining at the meal. 30 At this the Pharisees and their scribes began murmuring to his disciples, saying: “Why is it YOU eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?” 31 In reply Jesus said to them: “Those who are healthy do not need a physician, but those who are ailing do. 32 I have come to call, not righteous persons, but sinners to repentance.”

*** gt chap. 27 The Calling of Matthew ***

Later, perhaps to celebrate the receiving of his call, Matthew holds a big reception feast in his house. In addition to Jesus and His disciples, former associates of Matthew are present. These men are generally despised by their fellow Jews because they collect taxes for the hated Roman authorities. Moreover, they often dishonestly exact more money from the people than the regular tax rate.

Observing Jesus at the feast with such persons, the Pharisees ask his disciples: “Why is it that your teacher eats with tax collectors and sinners?” Overhearing the question, Jesus answers the Pharisees: “Persons in health do not need a physician, but the ailing do. Go, then, and learn what this means, ‘I want mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came to call, not righteous people, but sinners.”

Apparently, Matthew has invited these tax collectors to his home so that they can listen to Jesus and receive spiritual healing. So Jesus associates with them to help them attain a healthy relationship with God. Jesus does not despise such ones, as do the self-righteous Pharisees. Rather, moved with compassion he, in effect, serves as a spiritual physician to them.

Thus Jesus’ exercise of mercy toward sinners is not a condoning of their sins but an expression of the same tender feelings he manifested toward the physically ill. Recall, for example, when he compassionately reached out and touched the leper, saying: “I want to. Be made clean.” May we likewise show mercy by helping persons in need, especially assisting them in a spiritual way. Matthew 8:3; 9:9-13; Mark 2:13-17; Luke 5:27-32.

Where is Matthew when Jesus sees him?

What is Matthew’s occupation, and why are such persons despised by other Jews?

What complaint is made against Jesus, and how does he respond?

Why does Jesus associate with sinners?

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    I never thought about Jesus' association with tax collectors and sinners as anti-shunning, but it sure was. Interesting. Throw in the Samaritan woman at the well too. Oh, and the good Samaritan in the illustration sure wouldn't be a JW.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I was thinking of chapter 71

“Pharisees’ Willful Unbelief
    THE parents of the once blind beggar are afraid when they are called before the Pharisees. They know that it has been determined that anyone who expresses faith in Jesus will be expelled from the synagogue. Such cutting off of fellowship with others in the community can work a tremendous hardship, especially on a poor family. So the parents are cautious.
    “Is this your son who you say was born blind?” the Pharisees ask. “How, then, is it he sees at present?”
    “We know that this is our son and that he was born blind,” the parents confirm. “But how it is he now sees we do not know, or who opened his eyes we do not know.” Surely their son must have told them all that has occurred, but discreetly the parents say: “Ask him. He is of age. He must speak for himself.”
    Therefore, the Pharisees again call the man. This time they try to intimidate him by indicating that they have gathered incriminating evidence against Jesus. “Give glory to God,” they demand. “We know that this man is a sinner.”
    The once blind man does not deny their charge, observing: “Whether he is[…]”
    Excerpt From: WATCHTOWER. “Greatest Man.” Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc. iBooks.
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped
    Sounds like a judicial committee to me. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • scotoma
    scotoma
    Does it even matter what the Bible Standards are? The backward people who wrote the Bible are the same as the crazy Allah worshippers.
  • macys
    macys

The congregation must remain clean and maintain God’s favor in order to be used by him and to represent him. Otherwise, God would expel or cut off the entire congregation

Well I think anyone with half a functioning brain can see that God has already cut off the entire congregation (implied aka JDubs) a long time ago with failed dates, scandals and child abuse.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

At one point in Watchtower's history it labelled as "Satan's organization" religions who disfellowshipped (Watchtower used that word!) members for criticizing and/or exposing the religion.

Here: God's organization or Satan's organization?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit