For the struggling faders and control freaks

by dubstepped 5 Replies latest jw friends

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I see people struggling with maintaining control over their reactions to their Witness relatives and something struck me that I'd like to share. As a JW you're taught that you should have unlimited self-control. Article after article, talk after talk, about controlling your impure thoughts, feelings, music, movies, speech, actions, literally everything a human could struggle with. I once had a talk with a brother about this very thing. If we could control all of these things then what's the point of Jesus' death, as we could potentially reach perfection ourselves.

So, when you're struggling to deal with your relatives, realize that self-control is finite and we don't get to pick and choose our weaknesses. Also realize that some things that are viewed as healthy and necessary can be toxic to you and not someone else. It is generally accepted that family is necessary, particularly a relationship with your parents. So many people fade so as to keep family bonds. But some families are toxic. Peanuts are a little thing, generally accepted as healthy and enjoyed by many, unless of course you're allergic to them in which case they could kill you.

So check your fade and see if it is just keeping something toxic in your life. You can look at the affect that being around those people has on you. Are you wasting time and emotional energy on vampires that are sucking you dry, like eating peanuts and thinking you won't be allergic this time because you were brought up to think you could control everything? Or is it maybe the case that the problem isn't you so it isn't yours to control? Those people could be toxic to you because, well, they are toxic. You can't fix that.

I just wanted to post this to let some of you off the hook. You can't control everything, externally (your family) or internally (your reactions to them). The old adage that the only thing you can control is your reaction to something is crap. Tell that to those allergic to peanuts. Do your best but don't be afraid to admit that something, or someone, is simply toxic and harmful to you and take care of yourself first. When the plane goes down you put the mask on yourself first, not someone else. You can't help anyone from a weak and sick position because you're sticking out a fade to somehow make toxic people to you something healthy. There's a time to walk away and admit that you're simply allergic to them.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

Dubstepped,

Excellent post, never a JW but this is soooo very true. It took the "Elder", the County Sheriff and Social Services to convince me that I could not continue carrying for my ALZ mother. She was extremely violent and as the Sheriff said we are watching your house for your safety one of these calls unfortunately is going to be to take you to the hospital when she seriously hurts you, she has no clue what she is doing.

The really bad part was at the time I had three people in my life that was extremely toxic, I finally wised up and walked away from 2 of them and threatened the 3rd that he would be homeless if he did not straighten up.

I am a much happier person today and when someone starts their crap I either hang up the phone or walk away. They now know it is over I am not going to be walked all over, end of game. Sad part is it took 60 years to get to this point.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Good Post !

I think fading is a long struggle for all who choose that route. But if it is becoming an horrendous struggle then it is good to look at what you are, or are not doing, and if there is any way to make it easier for yourself.

When I first got TTATT I was like any new convert, and wanted to share it with all JW's, and particularly wanted to "wake up" my JW family. This became frustrating, and in the end very depressing to me.

I found peace when I finally said to myself that I will only seek to give help to those who seek it, and my fade, and my life, became much easier.

• Theonlyoneleft
    Theonlyoneleft

Thank you for this post! It’s such an easy point of view, sometimes I forget how easy things actually are in real terms. Pls ignore the unlike presses 😊... that was me 😉 as a mistake... I couldn’t stop pressing the like button and my thumb was just to eager that ended up on the other side. It’s a great post that will help me. 🙂

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

My thoughts : one has to decide to ask questions or get an explanation of doubts; if one starts to blabber everything they have found out about the TtATT, those in deep cant handle it. In effect they have FEAR, CONFUSION,DREAD ADRENALINE all kinds of emotions going through them at the same time; it is difficult to think clearly then. My method is give it in drips and drabs, well thought out, smoothly and know when to stop saying any more. Gently does it not all at once. Believe me all I have so far successfully helped over 12 people and counting.

Zing

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Excellent post dubstepped ,it should resonate with many here as it has with us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit