Theism is a Fact #1

by cofty 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• juandefiero
    juandefiero
    FACT: Jesus helped me with my constipation this morning. All I had to do was scream his name. Eventually, it worked.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Personally my favourite argument for God is Pantinga's argument from evolution because it's so cheeky to use evolution as a proof, and it's actually quite clever. Unfortunately I think he unnecessarily discounts the alternative conclusion of his argument: that human consciousness is purely for survival and cannot be relied upon to deliver an accurate understanding of reality.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Plantinga#Philosophical_views

In Plantinga's evolutionary argument against naturalism, he argues that the truth of evolution is an epistemic defeater for naturalism (i.e. if evolution is true, it undermines naturalism). His basic argument is that if evolution and naturalism are both true, human cognitive faculties evolved to produce beliefs that have survival value (maximizing one's success at the four F's: "feeding, fleeing, fighting, and reproducing"), not necessarily to produce beliefs that are true. Thus, since human cognitive faculties are tuned to survival rather than truth in the naturalism-evolution model, there is reason to doubt the veracity of the products of those same faculties, including naturalism and evolution themselves. On the other hand, if God created man "in his image" by way of an evolutionary process (or any other means), then Plantinga argues our faculties would probably be reliable.
  • 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Our inevitable death leads us to theism. If we didn't have to die, very few would give a shit about God.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Sbf can't you put up some funny pics like us once in a while??? Why so serious, have a whisky and post funny pics.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    I don't know how to post pictures. Tell me how.
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

an atheist doesnt have to prove there is no such thing as god. how can someone prove something doesnt exist ?

the onus of proof is on the theist. good luck with that.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Slim--are you using a laptop or a tablet ?

on a laptop--right click on a picture--click on copy image---then paste it where you want it.

slimboyfat

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    iPad, always
  • Clambake
    Clambake

The self-congratulatory tone of this thread has me thinking more than a few of you might be missing the old KH.

LOL

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    @slim--i also have a tablet--an acer android. ive no idea how to post a pic with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit