Editorial | Keep level heads when negotiating Jehovah's Witnesses contract

by OrphanCrow 4 Replies latest jw friends

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Editorial | Keep level heads when negotiating Jehovah's Witnesses contract

The Cambria County War Memorial Arena has ended its current fiscal year about $18,000 in the black. That’s a far cry from the anticipated loss of $27,000 that had been projected for the authority.
    That’s fantastic news, considering some years the facility posted losses of $200,000 or more.
    “We’re showing a positive business model,” Steve St. John, arena general manager, told our Dave Sutor. “That’s our goal going forward.”
    The manager noted that all debts have been paid and the cash flow is “very good.”
    Those are positive signs that the arena may have finally stopped bleeding money and is booking attractions that are helping it turn a profit and signing moneymaking rental agreements.
    One of the arena’s rental pacts is with the Jehovah’s Witnesses. The religious organization has been holding its annual regional meetings during multiple weekends in June at the Johnstown facility for the past four years.
    When the group wrapped up its 2016 meetings, its leadership met with St. John to ink next year’s dates.
    But the manager wasn’t immediately moved to sign, saying he wanted to explore if the two sides can come to terms on a more lucrative agreement for the War Memorial.
    “The reason I didn’t sign it is I asked them, ‘Do you have the ability to come to the table and help me make the arena’s situation better?’ ” he told his bosses, the Cambria County War Memorial Arena Authority, at a recent board meeting.
    The current pact, he said, is a break-even situation.
    Talking points with the group include costs incurred when the group requests rental chairs instead of the floor seats supplied by the arena and the high costs of janitorial supplies.
    “I’m looking at working with the Jehovah’s Witnesses on ways that they can increase the amount of rent that they’re paying for the services they’re getting,” St. John told our Dave Sutor.
    “We’ll see if they have any room to work.”
    City leaders are urging the authority to proceed cautiously, and we agree. The economic boost the group’s yearly treks to the Greater Johnstown region is a positive.
    “They’re spending money in the city,” Lisa Rager, executive director of the Greater Johnstown/Cambria County Convention and Visitors Bureau, said. “They’re dining out. They’re visiting things.
    “These are the exact types of guests we need to have here … it seems like they’ve been well received.”
    Dean Gindlesperger, authority chairman, concurred.
    “We love being part of bringing people into the area and spending their money at our hotels and our restaurants and everything,” he said. “That’s great.”
    But he quickly curbed his enthusiasm.
    “However, I think we have to be careful how much we pay out for everyone else to make money without getting anything back.”
    Past agreements had the Jehovah’s Witnesses providing in-kind services. This year, the attendees helped remove the rink’s dasher boards in preparation for an upgrade to the arena’s floor and ice-making equipment.
    St. John was very appreciative of the work the group has performed to date, but said his preferred method of doing business is cash in hand.
    “Anytime that anybody does something for me on trade,” he said, “I always feel like I got the less of the deal.”
    Given the specifics of the in-kind work, we can understand St. John’s position.
    It appears as if St. John and the group’s leaders are walking a tight rope. Too high a price and the Jehovah’s Witnesses are likely to move their convention elsewhere.
    Let’s hope both sides keep level heads.

*I never know where to post things like this...is it in the 'right' category of "friends"??

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

I went to that place for a few conventions. It's a fucking dump. The city is a fucking dump. Even if I were still in, I would go anywhere but there for a convention.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

“They’re spending money in the city,” Lisa Rager, executive director of the Greater Johnstown/Cambria County Convention and Visitors Bureau, said. “They’re dining out. They’re visiting things.

What's your experience on JWs and their spending?

First, they are all packing a lunch at the convention, so no dining out at noon. They might be purchasing take-out orders on the way, or buying prepared sandwiches the night before, but they are instructed not to leave the venue and go out to eat during intermission.

Evening meals, in my experience, were almost always going out to eat at a restaurant. That's the one thing JWs seemed to "treat" themselves to during the convention. It was always difficult to get a table at nearby places. However, with all the other JWs around at the restaurant, they're going to be cautious about how much they drink and booze is where restaurants make the highest profits. The JWs will be drinking water with lemon. (Free)

Visiting things? What is there to visit in PoDunk (Johnstown), PA? This is 1.5 hours from Pittsburg, the closest major city with attractions. If anyone is in that area of PA, is this where they expect all JWs from Pittsburg to attend? Or, is this for JWs who are more "outstate"?

Why would any convention center enter into a "break even" contract?

Doc

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

in an economically depressed town, sometimes breaking even is all you can hope for.

To answer your other question, most of the congregations assigned there are with a couple hours of pittsburgh. They haven't had conventions there in a long time (early 90's). There's a few venues they could possible use but I imagine WT would not want to pay to use Consol or Heinz Field.

• jws
    jws

Maybe I don't understand what they're talking about with the gift-in-kind services. Sounds like the JWs did some extra work for them not related to their convention.

So if they didn't do that and paid you money instead, wouldn't you then have to hire people to do that work and there goes your money? Unless they've got city employees sitting on their butts being paid for busy work that you could throw at the problem.

I always remember after assemblies having to stay and do cleanup. And the (probably exaggerated claims) that we left everything so clean that it was better than before. So what's the complaint? Cleaning supplies? Maybe contract that they clean it with their own supplies? Hell, a significant number of JWs are in the cleaning business from what I recall.

Breaking even might be better than being in the red with an empty building. I'm guessing most buildings have costs even when nobody's using them. Taxes, some amount of monthly utilities, etc. So taking in enough money to cover those things (breaking even) is better than having to pay those things with no money coming in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit