A Perfect World

by FayeDunaway 4 Replies latest social entertainment

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

1993. Kevin Costner is super popular because of Dances With Wolves. Then he makes a Clint Eastwood directed movie called A Perfect World. My witness ears pricked up, what could that be about?? Turns out the title has nothing to do with a paradise utopia, but whoa, witnesses ARE a part of the movie, and not in a good way!! Word is getting round that witnesses are NOT to see this movie, because of the negative mention.

It's been 23 years and now I'm an ex-witness and finally seeing this movie!!

Anybody else curious what was in it, all these years?

It's about an escaped prisoner who kidnaps a boy as a hostage. In the beginning of the movie we see the boy with his family. The kids are at a table and talking about what they WOULD go as for Halloween. The mom comes and says 'you know we don't do that, we have a higher purpose.' The boy says he wishes he could do it just once. Later, kids knock at the door, dressed up, and the boy has to tell an adult they don't celebrate Halloween cuz they are 'Jehovah's witness.'

Later, the boy is in a store with Costner and steals a Casper Ghost costume (this double no-no is ignored by the filmmakers...going as a ghost of course would be the worst offense...maybe short of a devil costume!) The boy gleefully puts it on. Costner parks somewhere and says come on, we are going trick or treating. The boy stops short. Costner turns around. 'What's the matter now?' He says. The boy says 'I ain't allowed to go trick or treating.'

Huh? Costner asks.

My momma doesn't allow it.

Trick or treatin'...why not?

Against our religion.

It's against your...against your...what kind of foolishness is that??

(Boy looks down, a little embarrassed) Jehovah's witness.

Costner turns around, crushes his cigarette. 'Now Phillip, I'm asking YOU, I ain't asking your mother, I ain't asking Jehovah. You wanna go trick or treatin' or not?'

Boy looks down, looks up, and nods yes.Costner turns for the boy to follow him, boy gets a huge smile and runs after, grabs Costner's hand.

......and there you have it! Scandalous!! They just couldn't stand people seeing how witness kids arent given a normal childhood. Later in the movie, the kid tells Costner he doesn't get Christmas or birthdays or anything. Costner does what he can to show the boy some fun.

• talesin
    talesin

I remember seeing that movie when it came out - it's a really good one. I was out of the cult by then, and didn't know the JWS had a problem with it. Now that I think about it, I did note it was very anti-JW, in that it showed the prison that we as JW kids, lived in. OTOH, how many 'worldly' people noticed?

How silly is that? In a real world sense, very silly! But oh ... my .... GAWD! The boy rebels and wants to go trick-or-treating? And have birthdays? He is a pawn of Satan, and any JW watching this movie will be infected by Satan's Hallowe'en spawn! LMAO

Nice catch, Faye.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I too saw the movie. It was great but it had one big flaw in it. The Witness child talks about "burning in hell" which, as we all know, is not a Witness concept.
  • talesin
    talesin
    VI, yes. I forgot that. You would think, that with all the precision and $$ put into a big production, that someone would have caught that in pre-production.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

I new JW folks who didn't like the movie because they felt it taught that "...if you can only just get JW kids away from their parents, they'll grow up 'normal'".

('Course, that is sort of true. :smirk:)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit