Watchtower financial yearbook statements 1989-2016

by the comet 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• the comet
    the comet

Since the 2016 yearbook yearbook was released I've been tearing through the numbers, trying to figure a few things out. I have several different projects I'm working on, and this is one of them. I looked through all the yearbooks from the 1989 one through 2016, the only thing they really state about money is how much they spent on; special pioneers, missionaries, and traveling overseers. From 2002 and on, at least what i could find, they also say the number of branch workers worldwide.

A few things really stand out to me. The amount of money they're spending seems to be spiraling out of control. In 1989 they spent 29.8 million (remember this figure is just what they spend on special pioneers, missionaries and traveling overseers) adjusted for inflation its about 60 million. The number increases every year, as you would expect it to. If we jump to 2002 its at 70.9 million (96.6 million adjusted for inflation) a 41 million dollar increase. Jump ahead another 13 years, to 2015 its at 224 million or a 153 million dollar increase.

To put things in perspective, In the 1989 yearbook you had an average of 3,430,926 publishers worldwide. The 2016 yearbook had 7,987,279 avg publishers, an increase of 132%. During the same time span their spending increased, adjusted for inflation, 293%.

Looking at this you can really see why they have to downsize the number of special pioneers, the costs are getting out of control. Anyway i found some of this interesting, my next project is looking at total number of baptisms in the united states from 1970 through today, trying to figure out where did all those people go?

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

Sooooo the Comet,

When can we see those tabulated figures?

Pretty please...

• Watchtower-Free
  • redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

Thanks for the info comet, another sign of the times

At least "they" are not hiding these financial numbers for us

Looking forward to your next project!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    Very interesting....
  • the comet
    the comet
    I have all the u.s. Baptism numbers compiled, it's just figuring some other factors.
  • redpilltwice
    redpilltwice
    We await comet
  • TheListener
    TheListener
    That is really something. I wonder why their costs per special pioneer went so high. I suspect they are hiding other costs in those line items but I don't know why they would do that.
  • berrygerry
    berrygerry

Old people are expensive.

Any country with a social safety net monitors their demographics.

As the PEW report shows, WT's demographics are aging year-after-year.

All of those missionaries, special pioneers, and Bethelites of the olden days need care.

Elder-care is not cheap, even for a cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit